Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

i9 12900KS can't play games

basti4655
Novice

Hello

I just build a new PC with i9 12900KS / RTX 3080Ti / MSI Z690 Tomahawk DDR5 / 32 GB Corsair Dominator.

Everything works fine until i want to play a game, in my case RDR 2 and Metro Exodus. Every game crashes to desktop right after start without error.

With my old system (i7 6700K) everything worked fine, i could play for hours and hours.

Is the new i9 12900KS not designed for gaming or am i missing something?

I spend so much money for my new system and now i can't play games anymore, this can't be true.  

Can someone please help me :'(

0 Kudos
1 Solution
basti4655
Novice

It looks like MSI Afterburner was causing the crashes, i've reinstalled it and set it up properly and now every game runs fine, no crashes anymore.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Why are you focused on the processor? 

Have you tried different memory or less memory?

Is your motherboard bios updated?

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- ) for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
basti4655
Novice

I have read something about DRM issues with alder lake CPU's.

I've removed one RAM stick, but games are still crashing.

Yes my motherboard runs with the latest bios update.

0 Kudos
basti4655
Novice

It looks like MSI Afterburner was causing the crashes, i've reinstalled it and set it up properly and now every game runs fine, no crashes anymore.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@basti4655 PLease report that on the MSI forum as well.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos