Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
Announcements
All support for Intel NUC 7 - 13 systems has transitioned to ASUS. Read latest update.
14267 Discussions

i9 12900KS intermittent system crashes and reboot while gaming

mattjfox1
Beginner

Hi all,

I purchased this processor in September of 2022. When I first put it in it crashed randomly and I thought it was a cooling issue. Since then I have tried both an Arctic II 420 water cooler and a Noctua D15 for air cooling. The crashes seemed to go away when I first installed the water cooler for about 5 months. Then suddenly they came back with a vengeance.

I don't get a BSOD so I don't have any warning error and I cannot get any meaningful information from the system logs in Windows 11.

I have tried each stick of Corsair DDR 5 32gb separately on my MSI Z690 Mobo and that does not seem to change anything. I have tried both my 2080 TI video card and my 1060 TI. For a minute I thought that might be it but then crashes began while running on the 1060 Ti.

I read somewhere that disabling E Cores may be a viable solution. I tried that. No luck. I have tried reseating the processor and new thermal paste. I should mention  I also underclocked the procesor to 1.25 volts and my temps are stable at 60 degrees even while gaming.

I also should mention I have latest drivers for Graphics and I believe for the entire system. I also MFlash Mobo to latest software.

At this point the culprit seems to either be one of three items. It is either the processor, the motherboard, or something in Windows. I have pretty much tried all other options.

I tried to put in a warranty request ticket for the processor on Friday and I was getting errors while signing in. It was mentioning a single sign on issue? I did see that the ticketing system was undergoing some maintenance until March 20th so maybe that was why?

Issue has been very frustrating and has been months of trouble shooting. I have never experienced anything like this. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello mattjfox1,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Core™ i9-12900KS Processor.  

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. What is the brand and model name of your motherboard?

2. What is the operating system installed as well as the version and build?

3. What is the BIOS version installed?

4. Did you overclock the CPU or RAM?

5. Are you using the Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP)? If so, what profile is set?

6. Are you running the BIOS on default settings?

7. Did you get any beep code or see a LED code from the motherboard when it crashes?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
mattjfox1
Beginner

1. What is the brand and model name of your motherboard?'

MSI MPG Z690 CARBON WIFI DDR5 LGA 1700 Intel Z690 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard

2. What is the operating system installed as well as the version and build?

Windows 11 home.. not sure because I reinstalled Windows so

it would have been happening accross multiple versions and builds.. The current one is  version 22H2 build is 22621.1413

3. What is the BIOS version installed?

7D30v1A

4. Did you overclock the CPU or RAM?

No

5. Are you using the Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP)? If so, what profile is set?

No

6. Are you running the BIOS on default settings?

Yes

7. Did you get any beep code or see a LED code from the motherboard when it crashes?

No beep code.. I didn't notice the LED code. I did notice the CPU light on the motherboard was red.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello mattjfox1, 

Thanks for the confirmation. Based on this issue, I would like you to try the following:

1. Check for any Windows optional update.

2. Start the system in minimal configuration. Minimal configuration: motherboard, processor, power supply unit, and one DRAM module. 

3. Are you able to test a different CPU?

4. Make sure that the RAM is running at DDR5 4800 or less. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
mattjfox1
Beginner

1. Check for any Windows optional update.

Windows is up to date.

2. Start the system in minimal configuration. Minimal configuration: motherboard, processor, power supply unit, and one DRAM module. 

I have done as follows and when I run off of the on board graphics card the system doesn't seem to crash. But keep in mind I also tried two different Cards a 2080 TI and a 1060. Also neither of those cards have any issues in other systems running similar specs.

3. Are you able to test a different CPU?

I am not able to test a different CPU in this system because I do not have access to another LGA 1700 processor.

4. Make sure that the RAM is running at DDR5 4800 or less.

Ram is running DDR 4800 this is confirmed.

0 Kudos
mattjfox1
Beginner

Sorry I meant to say for question number 2 when I am using the integrated Intel graphics and I don't have any graphics card in the PC.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello mattjfox1, 

Thanks for the confirmation. Since you mentioned "when I run off of the onboard graphics card the system doesn't seem to crash", I would like to confirm the following:

1. With minimal configuration, did you try to play a game to confirm that the crashes do not occur?

2. Prior to trying with the minimal configuration, did the games use the Nvidia card or the Intel graphics? Which games are affected?

3. Can you take a video to try to play gaming, but also show the task manager? This is to see the behavior of the Nvidia card and Intel graphics. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello mattjfox1, 

After checking your thread, I would like to know if you need further assistance. 

If so, please let me know. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello mattjfox1, 

I was checking your thread and see that we have not heard back from you.  

I’m going to close your post, but if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to create a new thread. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
mattjfox1
Beginner

Hi Deivid,

Sorry for late response. I have a warranty ticket with Intel going and they are sending me another processor. I am going to try that and I believe this will fix the issue. I will keep you posted though.

0 Kudos