Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

i9-13900k Corrected Hardware Error has Occurred

JavierJ
Beginner

Hello, I've had an issue for a couple weeks where my computer had BSOD and I had to reinstall windows to be able to log in. Later I found out xmp what making my computer BSOD during gameplay (randomly started after computer built 2 months ago).  Initially thought it was the GPU because it only happened in games. But then this BSOD also happened in CPU Benching/Stress test. So then thought of the CPU. I turned off xmp and undervolted and as far as I know it runs ok but doesn't use all the cores and threads. When I run certain games such as Minecraft Java Edition I get exit code 1. Then WHEA-Logger event 19 and 2 saying I have a corrected hardware error has occurred. message with details below. I'll also attach the file I was given Minecraft crashed. I want to know if this is something I should RMA the CPU for, because I tried 3 weeks of potential fixes since this started and I'm still having issues on a brand new system. Specs: Asus Strix OC 4090. CPU: i9-13900K, PSU: Asus Thor 1200W, Ram: Dominator 6600 CL32.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
Error Type: Translation Lookaside Buffer Error
Processor APIC ID: 16

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
Error Type: Internal parity error
Processor APIC ID: 40

0 Kudos
27 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello JavierJ,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Core™ i9-13900K Processor.   

I would like to let you know that altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications. 

However, in order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Do you see any LED from the motherboard when the issue appears?

2. Did you update the BIOS?

3. Did you update the operating system?

4. Did you try with a different RAM?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
JavierJ
Beginner

Hello Deivid A.

1. I did see the LED light light red because during stress testing the CPU the i9-13900k get really hot.

2. I have the motherboard updated the latest bios.

3. I have updated windows 11 to the latest software.

4. I did try different ram, the kingston 5200mhz which is compatible with my motherboard. When I tried running with XMP setting it would not display anything after the bios.

I want to add more detail here. When the ram wasn't ran on its own speed 6600mhz it was running at 4800mhz and the cpu was running with 24cores and 32threads. The cpu still froze and crashed during testing. Basically the cpu becomes useless when trying to get the 24cores and 32threads (advertised cores and threads) without under volting. The time when it sorta stable is when you underclock it, but would have issues running games like minecraft java and cinebench. I have a friend to also got the same cpu and tested it on my system and ran stress test, benchmarks, and games for a few days and I had no issues with/XMP. The CPU led lit up also because it got hot during stress, but did not crash. I've only had the CPU for a month and half before this issue arose. I believe I got a bad batch of a cpu. I'm not able to run it with its advertised max speed/cores/threads normally without getting issues.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello JavierJ, 

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello JavierJ, 

I was checking your thread and see that we have not heard back from you.  

I’m going to close your post, but if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to create a new thread. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
willisreed
Beginner

Hi Deivid,

FYI I have the near identical scenario. Built my 13900k machine shortly after it was launched with 4090, DDR5 7200, etc... 48 hours ago I started experiencing a couple of random app crashes and 2 BSOD's. My event viewer is full of hundreds of WHEA Logger Error 19's.

No hardware or software changes anywhere near the the time when the issue started.

0 Kudos
sibidharan
New Contributor II

I bought a 13900k and gave 128 GB RAM. I am running Ubuntu and running 10sof VMs using KVM. I started experiencing random "general protection fault" kernel panics all referred to some type cross cache permission violation which I was able to fix by adding slub_debug=F in kernal parameters.

I tried to boot into any live USB, it just crashes. The kernel is non tainted but it crashes with the same type of permission violation in kmem_cache_alloc, and any live USB I boot even without harddisk had same issues. But with luck I am able to turn on my server, and since I have slub_debug=F added to kernel, it didn't crash during operations and it ran for weeks together. 

It was working for sometime, until one day a power failure happened, and then when I restarted the server, it was saying this error I attached here. The errors before slub_debug=F showed different address in the panic. I suspected if its faulty RAM, so I ran memtest and it passed. This time, the error is same across different kernels. Even I tried to boot Windows in a new SSD, it couldn't boot, and I attached the BSOD here, which all points to the "general protection fault" by the processor.

But now, its panicking in the initrd phase, while the kernel is doing some udev stuffs, I am never able to find what is causing this, but interestingly, the same error in the same location is happening even if I boot different kernels via live USB. I thought I lost the server. I did memtest, it passed again. I removed each peripheral I have connected and tested, nothing helped, Until I read somewhere to use maxcpus=1 and limit the number of CPUs, and it worked, boom my computer is working. Booted up and running, but now with only one CPU. I didn't know what was wrong, until I did the same in BIOS, limited the number of cores to 1, enabling only one core in performance cores and disabled all efficiency cores. I got 2 logical CPUs due to hyper threading and it is working. 

I moved further and enabled all efficiency cores, and only one performance cores, boom the computer is working normally. Only if I enable the remaining performance cores, the crash is happenning, and its the same error. 

I read in a lot of places that the CPU cores are going faulty, https://access.redhat.com/solutions/3915511 

Similar situation here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/not-present-page-kernel-panic-4175722803/

I am now running good with 17 cores and 18 logical CPUs. 

What is wrong here? Is my individual CPU core has gone faulty? I didn't try experimenting with other performance cores yet since my server is back on, i want it running. I will do that experiment eventually. 

0 Kudos
sibidharan
New Contributor II

I just changed to 14th gen 19-14900K and all issues are magically gone. The server is booting up butter smooth and no panics anywhere, no lockups anywhere!! 

Its the bloody i9-13900K, everyone (or a subset) who bought this is silently suffering.

Please change the CPU. Thats the only solution. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@sibidharan   Stop with the multiple posting.

And, you need to wait for a response from Intel, so it is time to wait and stop beating the drum.  You constant complaining is causing enough suffering to those of us who have no problem with the i9-13900K.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

sibidharan
New Contributor II

@AlHill  Thanks for taking part in our suffering

0 Kudos
xycia
Novice

I would love to know the cause as well. This is appearing in my event viewer after trying to launch any video editing software. The computer then crashes. 

Specs:
OS NAME: Windows 11 Pro
Version: 10.0.22621 Build 22621
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: Z790 AERO G
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K, 3000 Mhz, 24 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends International, LLC. F4, 1/9/2023
SMBIOS Version: 3.5
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory: 31.8 GB
Available Physical Memory: 21.4 GB
Total Virtual Memory: 33.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 20.2 GB

0 Kudos
sibidharan
New Contributor II
Your CPU is faulty! Try to turn off your performance cores from BIOS and see if the software still crashes!
xycia
Novice
Do we have answer from Intel? I see from reading you believe it's faulty from your testing but I would like an answer from Intel so I can RMA if needed.
0 Kudos
s4mor4i
Novice

I have the same exact issue. I disabled the performance cores just like Saidharan said, and everything worked but with reduced performance. I tested the CPU on a different motherboard and got the same issue until I also disabled the performance cores. 

sibidharan
New Contributor II

If you need all the cores, temporarily you can disable “Intel SpeedShift” and “Intel TurboBoost” from your bios and enable all cores. Your computer will work but it won’t get past 3000 MHz. Its a temporary workaround. You need to replace your processor whatsoever. Because i9 13900k is overclockable and advertised to run over 5500 MHz, but on the contrary we had to underclock it to make it stable, what a weird world! 

s4mor4i
Novice

If I do that, I think the CPU utilization will be at 100% all the time because of how much **bleep** I have running all the time. I'll give it a try while I wait the delivery guy to come pick it up. Thanks for the Help.

sibidharan
New Contributor II
@xycia scoot this site (and the internet) and see how many persons are waiting for intel’s answer on same 13900k errors and crashes! We are not alone brother, I am also waiting for Intel to open their mouths! Let’s see what they say!

Its caused by individual P-cores gone faulty! We are the victims of “Silicon Lottery” I believe.
s4mor4i
Novice

It started with random BSOD every while and then. Like 5 months ago. Things got worse like 10 days ago and I tested everything except the CPU. Until I read about it here and disabled the P-cores. a friend of mine also had random BOSD and App crashes like twice. I think he's about to get the Intel Supreme Bull**bleep** Experience and join us here.

Guess it's time to go team Red.

sibidharan
New Contributor II
@s4mor4i

I second this, just read all the posts in this forum, search for “13900k crashes, BSOD etc” in here and in google , all I see is pointless deferring from Intel’s side and some “Super Users” here trying to shut us up from making a noise, but we are suffering, if we don’t cry, we have to suffer in silence.

Intel knows how many reports they are getting and about faulty 13900k but still replying to everyone once in a week with unrealistic procedures, not accepting a fault on their side, not asking people to do RMA yet, keeping the frustration level at peak! All I expect form them is announce that some of 13900k are faulty and announce a SoP for dealing with these processor faults instead of delaying already frustrated souls and frustrating them more.

Like they are asking me to install windows instead of ubuntu! How funny is that? Its the CPU thats throwing these errors, its called General Protection Fault and I am a kernel developer and It is funny how intel replying once in a bluemoon and asks us to do mediocre things and expect a faulty processor to work ! As an engineer it feels funny. As a human I feel sad for everyone who lost the lottery on 13900k and suffering every day not knowing what went wrong!

May intel show mercy.
s4mor4i
Novice

Does that mean warranty won't cover it? 

0 Kudos
sibidharan
New Contributor II
No, Intel is just slow! If you have bought it from a vendor, show this issue from this forum and get a refund. If you have bought it online, wait for Intel to respond.

In my case, I replaced my 13900k with a 14900k and I paid the difference to my vendor after my vendor confirmed that the 13900k is faulty.