Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

i9-13900k not recognized anymore

mikemiker
Beginner

Hello,

beginning of January I've built my new PC and this time I went straight for the i9-13900k CPU.

I put it into a MSI Pro Z690 DDR5 motherboard along with 64GB of Corsair Vengance DDR5 RAM, and a MSI Trio X Gaming 4070 Ti.

Everything worked flawlessly until today.

I was just playing Witcher 3 as it rang on my door. I went to open and about 3 minutes later I came back and noticed the system froze.

So I hit the restart button on my PC case and nothing happend except that the red CPU light of the motherboard is on.

I pulled the power cord and waited some time before plugging it in again. No change.

I took off the water pump (NZXT Kraken X63) which was barely warm, not even noticeable, and reaplied some thermal paste, put everything back together and...no change.

So I went for a BIOS update. In the beginning I was on 7D25vA7 and so I updated to the latest 7D25vAA. No change.

It's not the first system I've built and never had any problems so far, but this time I went for a high-end CPU and now I'm quite devestated. My PCs usually last for 6-8 years before they get replaced.

P.S. I didn't tweak anything. No OC. No anything. PSU is Corsair RM850x and both CPU power plugs are used on the motherboard.

0 Kudos
25 Replies
AlHill
Super User

If the CPU is gone, how did you update the bios?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
mikemiker
Beginner

Hi,

my motherboard has a BIOS Update function where you put the update file on a USB stick, plug it in a certain port on the motherboard and press a button.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Does the bios produce any display and, if so, does it show the processor?  Or, is this bios update in the blind?

0 Kudos
mikemiker
Beginner

No, there is no picture. Technically you could update the BIOS without a CPU with only a PSU plugged in.

Only a status LED is flashing as long as it's updating.

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor I

funny that you mentioned Z690 from MSI, bcoz that is what was not working with i7-13700k for me,
i tried everything and no luck, turns out, even tho the 6xx series is made for 12gen CPUs it will be compatible with 13gen after BIOS update....so far the theory.
I did exactly that with flashing BIOS, i think its called Qflash or so, and no use, the board worked with 12gen but not with 13gen.

So, i got a new board B760 from Gigabyte, it was cheap, and worked without doing anything at all, plugged everything in and works ever since.
6xx series is not meant to run with 13get be default, 7xx series are.
It is a mystery how it even worked for you in the first place, did the board had BIOS update before you bought it?

BTW, i find it a shame that entering BIOS has been made to a quest, where i can not even see the startup screen when i use the dedicated graphics card and via DP and not HDMI from the board itself, and once i disable the intel graphics, i can only enter BIOS again, if i do CLR CMOS

0 Kudos
mikemiker
Beginner
The thing is, I did get it the motherboard to accept the 13900k and it worked flawlessly until Saturday. Also there was not that much load when it gave up and also not before. I was still setting everything up. So biggest load was a 2h session of rFactor 2.
I'll get a new CPU tomorrow. It could be just a faulty CPU, but without knowing there's this unsecurity if it will happen again...
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What is the exact model number of your motherboard?

0 Kudos
mikemiker
Beginner

Hi,

it's a MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

It may be nothing, but I am a bit bothered that the i9-13900K is not specifically listed in the supported processors:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-Z690-A/support#cpu

0 Kudos
mikemiker
Beginner

That is strange, because after I had the problems with the ASUS board not recognizing my RAM I went to a local store and asked for a motherboard that supports both, my CPU and my RAM and the sales man and I looked together and I definitely know that the 13900K was listed, because I wanted a different mobo and he refused to sell it to me because the CPU was not an the compatibility list.

Also I don't understand why did it work for a whole month then?

Edit: It is on the compatibility list. You can find it if you search for it. The default order is a bit weird.2023-02-06 13_23_20-PRO Z690-A.png

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor I

@mikemiker wrote:

Also I don't understand why did it work for a whole month then?

an update possibly, windows loves to update itself, and as we know, latest update 'killed' quite a lot of PCs.
It may be not related in your case, but who knows.

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor I

@mikemiker wrote:
.....It could be just a faulty CPU

....or motherboard, how sure are you that it's the CPU? did you remove it from the board and it did not continuously restart itself?
bcoz without the faulty thing, a working motherboard would stay powered on endlessly, otherwise it would restart like each 60seconds even if nothing is plugged in (except the power supply of course).

0 Kudos
mikemiker
Beginner

Hello,

no, I haven't tried running it without the CPU yet. I could do that when I'm back home.

Just for confirmation: If the motherboard is OK, it would stay on.

If it's not OK it would restart constantly?

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor I

@mikemiker wrote:

Hello,

no, I haven't tried running it without the CPU yet. I could do that when I'm back home.

Just for confirmation: If the motherboard is OK, it would stay on.

If it's not OK it would restart constantly?

if something is wrong it would restart (power on/off) continuously, yes.

This would apply to all components, be it RAM, GPU , CPU or SSD/HDD and motherboard itself too.
It would also do same in case of a shortcut, but here it's a little bit different.

If you have the 'PC beep' installed, it should make also the beeping noise.

0 Kudos
mikemiker
Beginner
So I just removed everything except the fans and M2. SSDs. No CPU, no RAM, no GPU.
It stays on, CPU LED constantly on (of course). Also installed a speaker, but no beep. Not before and not now when it's 'naked'.
I really don't know what to do. Honestly I already have a new processor (i9-13900k again), but I don't know if I can trust this motherboard enough to install it and maybe the same happens again...
Problem is if I choose another board I'll also have to change the case as the AiO is only fitting because of the size of the MSI Pro.
0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor I

stays on and no PC beep, then there is nothing wrong with the board. 

I would take a closer look at the CPU pins on the motherboard, if all look exactly same, no visible damage or fancy colors on few pins, then there is nothing that would suggest that you can't try with the new CPU.

That being said, you should trust your gut feelings, bcoz if you install new CPU and that dies as well ...that would suggest that the mobo is somehow not ok.

Was there no warranty on the mobo or CPU? in this case it would certainly take care of faulty parts. 

Anyway, if you decide to run it, i would not run any tests but instead observe the temperatures on all available sensors. Maybe there is a hidden hint somewhere. On my side i have a thermal camera for that...which shows that my current motherboard does not look happy on full CPU load. And on the image the hottest part is actually the PCB itself, there is nothing on there except the copper traces, considering that those deliver over 180Amps....yes welding power, it explains the heat. On the other side of the board it looks exactly the same, a hotspot on the PCB

received_527781549144875.jpeg

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Regarding "BTW, I find it a shame that entering BIOS has been made to a quest...", the BIOS is part of the motherboard product and the manufacturer is solely responsible for its workings. I certainly hope that you reported this issue to MSI/Gigabyte.

...S

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor I

@n_scott_pearson wrote:

Regarding "BTW, I find it a shame that entering BIOS has been made to a quest...", the BIOS is part of the motherboard product and the manufacturer is solely responsible for its workings. I certainly hope that you reported this issue to MSI/Gigabyte.

...S

hmm, it says under your name 'super user' but you certainly have no idea about this here, it's windows:
sdgsdgsdvf.JPG

I even mentioned the display port, and maybe i should have that BIOS works best via HDMI, DSUB or DVI.....which like everyone knows about.
And yes, this problem is well known, it is connected to the UEFI boot, and the fact that newer graphic cards do have their own 'BIOS' which has VGA drivers, but it still does not work....not even if i unplug the dedicated graphic card and let the intel graphics do the job - it fails too. HDMI does the job.

So anyway, without doing what you see on the screenshot +HDMI, i can not enter BIOS regardless what i do, and so do millions of users. Apparently downgrading the DP version to 1.1 works for some ppl too.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Nowhere in your response did you mention Windows at all. Regardless, it is true that this method *is* problematic (as all of the posts on the MS site will attest). You need to be reporting this to the board manufacturer as well. It is a BIOS issue. I never attempt to use this method; I always use the hotkey during BIOS POST and I never have any problems doing so.

...S

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor I

@n_scott_pearson wrote:

Nowhere in your response did you mention Windows at all. Regardless, it is true that this method *is* problematic (as all of the posts on the MS site will attest). You need to be reporting this to the board manufacturer as well. It is a BIOS issue. I never attempt to use this method; I always use the hotkey during BIOS POST and I never have any problems doing so.

...S

1. no F8, F12 or other F keys work, no reaction at all
2. If it's BIOS, how come this problem exists less on Windows 7? i just need to plug in the HDMI and all 'F' keys work , i even see the motherboard Logo etc.
3. it is even worse on Windows 11, and was not the case with Windows 10, except after a certain update
4. why would windows add that recovery option with UEFI? exactly

All that leaves but one clue, it is not BIOS nor motherboards, where this problem exists across all manufacturers.

0 Kudos