Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14504 Discussions

i9-7980XE - EDP Limit Throttling

Under_b
Beginner

I recently Purchased an i9-7980XE and as an initial benchmark i ran it without any OC only XMP enabled, then i enabled MSI's built in OC Genie gave a bit of performance but I'm still throttling at EDP/Current when idling so before i jump into my custom OC i wanted to know what EDP throttle means and why its throttling at Idle

Thanks,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Under_b

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following information?

1- We understand that you enabled Intel® XMP (Extreme Memory Profiles). What was the memory speed configured?

2- Does the behavior occurs if you load BIOS defaults, disable Intel® XMP, and disable/undo any other overclocking tool (e.g. MSI's built-in OC Genie*) or manual settings?

3- Cooler Solution/Fan brand and model:

4- Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) version:

5- Based on the screenshot, we understand that the system is not overheating but still throttling at EDP/Current. Is this correct? Please provide details.

6- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.
  • To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Under_b

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Under_b

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now.

Regarding your inquiry "what EDP throttle means and why it's throttling at Idle", we would like to inform you that processors have two modes of thermal protection: throttling, and automatic shutdown. When a core exceeds the set throttle temperature, it will start to reduce power to bring the temperature back below that point. The throttle temperature can vary by processor and BIOS settings.

If the conditions are such that throttling is unable to keep the temperature down, such as a thermal solution failure or incorrect assembly, the processor will automatically shut down to prevent permanent damage.

There can be multiple reasons why the Current Limit is throttling on the processor. The three common reasons for Current/EDP Limit Throttling are:

1. Processor Core IccMax is set too low in XTU.
  2. VR (voltage regulator) current limit is set too low in BIOS. Different motherboard manufacturers (OEMs) may have different names for this control, so please check with your motherboard vendor.
  3. The motherboard is not able to provide high enough current for the given CPU. Pairing a low power motherboard with a very high Thermal Design Power (TDP) chip can cause current throttling, even with current limits set to the maximum.

This can be debugged by uninstalling Intel® XTU, then stressing the system (per example using Prime95*), and monitoring the throttle reasons using ThrottleStop*. If EDP throttling is detected, then it’s almost certainly a BIOS/Hardware limitation and our recommendation is to check further with the Computer Manufacturer for further details.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos