Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

i9 9900K Display Box Broken

Togems
Beginner

Hi,

I (after loads of trouble and several day of battling with the website) bought a 9th gen i9 9900K from >>here<<

The driver delivered it to my house yesterday and due to the apocalypse he dumped it on the ground / took a picture and did a runner! Anyway, I picked it up and took it inside / discovered the funky plastic case was completely smashed to pieces (see attached image) I took the CPU out of the cardboard case / poly packet and studied it under magnification = Looks undamaged (Board arriving today so haven't totally confirmed this but I'm sure it is fine)

Anyway, Curry's seem to have disabled customer support for the pandemic (I'd never be able to explain this to them anyway!!) so I thought I'd ask you whether there's any chance I can get a replacement plastic case as I want it for my collection - If I did manage to get hold of Curry's they'd likely send me another smashed case (mathematically higher likelihood of smashed CPU replacement?? You know this more than me) Seems a waste to return a good chip / especially given the high value of it.

Anyway failing this I'll attempt to glue the box back together and send you a photo later!!

Cheers,

Andy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Return it to the place of purchase and get a refund, or make a claim with the shipper.

Doc

0 Kudos
Togems
Beginner

Yes,

That would be the obvious option - But wasteful as it's only the packaging damaged and I operate a low carbon lifestyle! (where possible)

Besides, I like this chip. It was quite amazing it survived and i feel I've already developed a bond to it..! So I'm going to keep it. Unless it is broken then I'll have to send it back. Maybe I'll buy a case on ebay or something!

Andy

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, but if you experience any error, you will always have that doubt in your mind.  Green or not, you deserve to have confidence in what you purchased.  Right now, you do not. 

Send it back.

Doc

0 Kudos
Togems
Beginner

hmm,

Well in honesty I've got loads of computers - This is a toy and doesn't need to be reliable = In fact I would go as far as to say -

If it works I'd be happy

If it is broken then yes I'll send it back

If it does something odd then I'd be really interested in it

DPD delivered it yesterday - Suspect they'll say why didn't you tell us straight away etc. I think I'll wait 'till the board turns up today then see if it works or not.

Thank you for your kind assistance and bonafide advice!

Andy

0 Kudos