Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

i9 9900K is not working

Krishnan1
Beginner
I unknowingly put the processor on the socket with bent pins.
One of the pins got stuck on my processor’s land pads due to pressure.
After noticing, I actually removed the pin from the land pads but the gold plate was also unfortunately chipped off (not fully, but half).

Then I put the processor on other working motherboard of same specifications, but it’s not detected by the mobo. The cpu light on the motherboard glows red.

I also suspect that the processor might have undergone short circuit or internal damage when powered on.

I don’t know what to do. The processor still has 4 month warranty.

Any suggestions would be helpful
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

AFAIK, this would be considered customer-induced damage (CID). You voided your warranty in the process. 

An expensive mistake!

...S

0 Kudos
Krishnan1
Beginner
Can it be repaired? What caused the problem?
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It typically cannot be repaired. If it is just the pin pad, there may be a chance - but if it has been fried, well, it's game over. Intel does not offer a repair service. You could check with a local shop for repair options - but don't get your hopes up and be careful of being taken advantage of.

From what you described, you caused the problem - and did a fairly good job of explaining it yourself. There is an expectation that someone installing a processor know what they are doing; knows how to verify that the socket is ok before installation, knows how to properly orient the processor in the socket and knows how to verify the orientation before applying pressure.

Sorry, reality bites,

...S