Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

i9 9900k CPU Core Temp reaching 100 Degrees

OneLivingLife
Novice

Is this Normal?

My i9 9900k CPU reaches 100 degrees as soon as the CPU load get around 100%. This did not happen for the first 2 years. Its almost 2.5 years now.

The CPU Fan is running at 96% and the CPU Socket Temp is at 72 degrees. PFA screenshot.

I have a CoolerMaster Liquid 240 cooler and CM HAF X Cabinet.

Motherboard MSI Z390 GA Edge AC

I did change my thermal paste after 2 years but it did not help!!

Is this normal? What should I check or do in order resolve this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
OneLivingLife
Novice

PFA Intel SSU file if that helps.

0 Kudos
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

Is it expected to reach high temps during high workloads, but not expected to reach the highest temps 100C...

First, use a different tool to monitor the temps, just to make sure it is not a misreading from that app...

Then, I would update the BIOS. The report shows that you're running an older version from 2019...  There are 4 new versions, being the latest v. 7B17vAB (not the BETA)

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z390-GAMING-EDGE-AC/support#down-bios

OneLivingLife
Novice

Thanks. I will update the BIOS now.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If it was working well before but reached this state simply over time, then there is a reasonably-good chance that the TIM (Thermal Interface Material, a.k.a. heatsink paste) needs to be replaced.

...S

OneLivingLife
Novice

But, as you can see, I already replaced the Thermal paste around 6 months ago.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Is that when your problems started?

0 Kudos
OneLivingLife
Novice

Nope, to resolve the problem, I changed my Heat sink paste but it did not help!!

0 Kudos
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

If you're sure that the software of BIOS is reading correctly the temps, that the motherboard is fine as well as the cooler, and still getting 100C for long periods (not just short spikes) then you should check with the seller the possibility for a replacement, I mean, if you have rule out issue on the other components what just discussed about...

Also, you said you would update the BIOS, did you accomplish that?

0 Kudos
OneLivingLife
Novice
Yes, updated my BIOS. Again, replaced the heat sink paste with CM Pro. The results still remain the same.

I will have to contact Intel for my CPU replacement, then.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, you have no proof as yet that there is anything wrong with the processor.

Overtemperature conditions can be caused by,

1. Insufficient cooling solution. For Core i9's fast transients, I recommend liquid cooling, but premium air cooler might work provided good chassis ventilation as well. If liquid cooling, air from fans should vent through the heatsink and out of the chassis
  2. Improperly installed cooling solution. Not properly affixed cooling solution or insufficient, inferior or improperly spread TIM (Thermal Interface Material, a.k.a. heatsink paste). I recommend something like Arctic Silver 5.
  3. Improperly configured cooling solution. Fan Speed Control curve not properly configured to speed up fan/blower/pump as heat increases. I recommend curve that has fan at 100% (full speed) for any temperature above 85c.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
OneLivingLife
Novice

CoolerMaster Liquid 240 cooler and CM HAF X Cabinet.

Motherboard MSI Z390 GA Edge AC

Ain't that good enough?

Thermal Paste is Coolermaster Pro 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Well, that might eliminates a couple of the possibilities; still lots to be investigated.
...S
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @OneLivingLife

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Weh hope that the assistance provided by the community has been helpful. Also, we understand you have opened an internal Web Support Ticket with us and we will continue to help you through that channel now. We will therefore close this community case from our side. Thank you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos