Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

i9 9900ks too high voltage at stock, too hot and lack of stability

MKami12
Beginner

Hello. I have a problem with my new 9900ks - his voltage at stock in bios default is 1,33V and when I activate XMP it is 1,4V.

His core VIDs are even up to 1,55V on stock !

When I set manually Vcore to 1,25V it isn't stable in some games and programs. When I set 1,28V it is still sometimes not stable and his temperatures are way too high - 1-2 cores even 95*C with AVX programs. With 1,3V+ it is way too hot even for my water cooling.

When I turn off XMP and set my ram to 2133 cpu is still hot and isn't stable. In programs and games without AVX - temperatures are less than 80*C. I have BSODs and freeze in programs or BSODs or crash to desktop

in games - mostly Batlefield 5 (AVX game) and Red Dead Redemption 2.

My full system spec:

1- i9 9900ks - totally stock no oc at all

2- aorus z390 master g2 - tried bios 9/10/11c beta, tried LLC on turbo, vccio and system agent voltages from stock to even 1,3V on both (XMP giving them 1,4V on vccio and system agent), all newest drivers installed

3- rtx 2080ti msi trio x - few drivers checked

4- 4x8 4000MHz viper steel 19-19-19-39-2T 1,35V (checked in few programs for stability and errors)

5- samsung 950pro m.2 512gb - for system only

6- adata sx8200pro m.2 1tb - games only

7- 1000w leadex platinum - really good psu

8- custom water cooling loop - only for cpu - 3x360 rads with almost 30 fans inside my case (mostly 120mm fans), mounting water block checked twice - good touch of cpu

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I suspect a problem with your aorus motherboard, since you and the user in the other thread both have the same board.

Doc

0 Kudos
MKami12
Beginner

So what should be the proper Vcore for 9900ks ? And why the cpu is so hot with my water cooling even with 1,25V ?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ask gigabyte first about their board and bios.

Doc

0 Kudos
MKami12
Beginner

Aorus told me that I have bad piece of cpu with high voltage on stock totally maxed to have 5GHz.

Is there a possibility to send this CPU for RMA ?

It is not fully stable "out of box" - too hot and lots of BSOD with AVX applicatiopns if I try to lover this voltage.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello MKami12,

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance, if yes, please let us know and provide details on how GIGABYTE® support helped you out to determine the processor is defective due to "high voltage on stock totally maxed to have 5GHz". Please provide details.

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
MKami12
Beginner

I send this CPU for RMA.

Everybody told me that 1,332V on defaults is too high. I want to remind that after using programs or games Vcore was close to 1,40V still on defaults.

Gigabyte support gave me alot of motherboard settings to try stabilize him lower than 1,3V but all of them were still not 100% stable.

On 100% load bios defaults It wasn't stable too because of high temperatures - close to 100*C on my extreme water cooling loop (look at my point 8 of my system spec above).

Before buying this CPU I saw lots of reviews and I never seen that high voltage on stock.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I would get rid of the gigabyte board, and purchase something else.

Doc

0 Kudos
MKami12
Beginner

You are so helpfull Al.Hill

I really like your help - it's gigabyte problem, ask gigabyte, their bios, their mobo.

Send me cash for new mobo and my problem will end.

PS you are a customer or intel troll ?

PS no.2 - aorus tried to help me alot - intel didn't.

END OF STORY.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Read the posts. I am a customer, just like you. There is a certain class of people that have to result to using the word "troll".

You are focused on the processor.

I have seen too many problems with junk aorus boards. Try a different non-gigabyte board. The board is half the price of the processor. Or, have gigabyte send you another board.

I am not impressed with your full system spec. Seems like you are throwing around a lot of money for no reason. And, if you have that kind of money, why buy a gigabyte board in the first place? Careful selection of components is important.

Or, maybe you caused damage to the processor.. You are messing with XMP, voltages, and who knows what else.

All of this is just an opinion, from a customer.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Also, as I said, I am a customer, just like you. I am not an Intel employee or contractor. And, as the forum banner says "This is a community forum where members can ask and answer questions about Intel products."

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@MKami12​ I did some surfing regarding these gigabyte boards. There seem to be a fair number of temp problems, and it seems the consensus is the board.

Now, it could be the board, or the power supply, or the memory, or your cooling system. It could also be the processor. However, since you (on this thread) and on the other thread you posted on with a user that has the SAME board (which is mysteriously gone now), I am still thinking it is the board.

Doc

0 Kudos