Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

intel I7 11700KF lower memory speeds

jonvox
Novice

Using I7 10700KF on an 'Asus Prime Z490 A' motherboard, with 2x16gb of Kingston HyperX KHX3200C16D4/16GX the default memory speed was 2400, instead of 2933 (the cpu's standard speed).

Now I've installed an I7 11700KF expecting a memory speed of 3200 as this is the cpu's default speed as well as the memory's speed. (BIOS version 2201) 

What to do to get 3200 with this new intel processor (without using XMP)? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @jonvox

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

The default memory speed is automatically configured by the motherboard (this is a task that relies on the motherboard automatic configurations) and all components: motherboard, processor, and memory RAM (and the features they support) are taken into consideration.

We were trying to find a datasheet regarding these Memory Modules but it seems we got different results (different part numbers) when searching using "Kingston HyperX KHX3200C16D4/16GX". In order to check this further, could you please provide us with a link as a reference for the memory RAM that you have?

Also, just in case we need more information from your system, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and provide us with a report following these steps:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
venturer739
Beginner

Hi Andrew, I came across this problem as well, and I was wondering if you could help.

I'm currently running the i7-11700KF processor on an MSI Z590 Pro WiFi motherboard, and have been using 2 x 16 GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulkan Z DDR4 RAM (Part TLZRD432G3200HC16FDC01). While the RAM is rated for 3200 Mhz, my PC is only running it at 2400 Mhz. I updated the BIOS and all the drivers I could find, but when I try overclocking to XMP Profile 1, I always get the error "Memory Overclock Fail!". 

I have attached the SSU report below if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @venturer739 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We were only able to find this datasheet* regarding the Teamgroup* T-Force Vulkan Z DDR4 RAM (Part TLZRD432G3200HC16FDC01) and we can see the vendor-market value for the RAM speed is 3200MHz. Also, it seems the Based Speed is 2666MHz. Unfortunately, we are not able to find details about the supported Intel® XMP Profiles for this RAM.

Based on the User's Manual for the MSI* Z590 PRO WIFI, some memory modules may operate at a lower frequency and it may be required to go to BIOS and set some settings regarding DRAM Frequency (perhaps here are the Intel® XMP Profile settings?). We would recommend making sure that the memory modules are installed in the proper configuration/slots as per the instructions on the manual (page 13).

We can confirm the Intel® Core™ i7-11700KF Processor supports Memory Types: DDR4-3200 and you can verify the processor is in good condition by running the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. If the test result is "Pass", I would recommend checking this further with the motherboard manufacturer (OEM) to confirm the feature in the BIOS is working fine, or in case any additional configuration step is required, or if this could be a compatibility issue between the motherboard and the RAM since it seems this part number is not in the Memory Compatibility list*. For your convenience, here is the link to MSI* Support.

You also want to review with the RAM manufacturer and you may run a memory test on the RAM modules. For instance, you may use Memtest86+*, a free, standalone memory testing program.

Note:

In case you need further assistance from Intel, we recommend creating a new thread to isolate your case and system configuration, this is since everyone's situation and environment are unique and this will allow us to focus on one issue at a time. 

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello jonvox

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

The Intel® Core™ i7-11700KF Processor supports Memory Types: DDR4-3200 as you correctly pointed out. We were unable to find specific datasheet information for the RAM model.

Based on the motherboard's website* the supported memory speeds are between 2133MHz to 4800MHz.

As per the User's Manual* for ASUS* Prime Z490-A, page 1-6, the default memory operation frequency is dependent on its Serial Presence Detect and under default state, some memory modules may operate at a lower frequency than the vendor-market value. If the default RAM speed is 2400MHz and considering the memory speed is automatically configured by the motherboard, this could be the cause of the behavior that you are experiencing.

Now, checking the User's Manual (page 16) for this motherboard, we noticed that there are some options available to configure values related to the memory, for instance, Ai Overclock Tuner >> Auto which loads the optimal settings for the system, Manual, and XMP Profiles. Since this depends on the motherboard automatic configurations and BIOS options, our recommendation is to review this further with ASUS* Support for proper and accurate steps to configure the memory speed at the desired value of 3200MHz.

You may also run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify that the processor is working fine. Feel free to share the diagnostic report.

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

Note:

For clarification purposes, changing Memory settings either through manual configuration or using Intel® XMP wouldn't void the Processor's warranty if the values set are within Intel's specifications. Intel® XMP, which is a type of memory overclocking, may void the processor warranty when using it beyond the given specifications. However, if both the Memory Module's XMP Profile selected and the processor support 3200MHz, then this should not be an issue. Actually, setting the memory speed could be easier using XMP instead of "manual configuration" (especially if you are not familiar with the different memory settings). Therefore, for proper steps and a secure configuration, we recommend contacting the motherboard manufacture for assistance and guidance.

Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello jonvox

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos