Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

intel core i5-1038ng7 Max Resolution

x-tivity
Beginner

Hi All,

According to the spec sheet from intel website..

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/196594/intel-core-i51038ng7-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-80-ghz.html

I would like to understand that the max resolution of HDMI interface is hard limit or not. And, If I use HDMI 2.1 will it be able to support higher refresh rate and resolution or not? 

Max Resolution (HDMI): 4096 x 2304@60Hz

Max Resolution (DP): 5120 x 3200@60Hz

I wants to achieve 5120 x 1440@120Hz with HDMI 2.1 to Thunderbolt 3 cable.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yes, these are hard limits. Your processor only supports HDMI 2.0b output, not HDMI 2.1.

Now, if you are using a TBT port, your output is actually in DisplayPort 1.4 format (this is being converted to HDMI by the cable assembly). In DisplayPort 1.4 output, you can, in theory, achieve 5120x1440@120Hz (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort for more information). Whether you will actually see this after the cable's conversion is the question I cannot comfortably answer as I do not have any information on this TBT-to-HDMI cable's quality, etc.

Note: These results are limited to direct connection of the monitor to the TBT port. If you are using a downstream hub/dock/etc. - especially if USB is also being utilized - then all bets are off.

Hope this helps,

...S

x-tivity
Beginner
i see... so that why even i have thunderbolt 3 to hdmi 2.1, it won't work. but thunderbolt 3 to DP1.4 works. it's because in this case CPU interface limit to HDMI2.0b and DP1.4

thanks for clarification.
0 Kudos
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

Please remember to not relay only on CPU specs and display specs...

It is very important to confirm what exactly the computer manufacturer enables "to be supported"... Let me explain... I have seen laptops with HDMI 1.4 ports, but the manufacturer "limited" video output to just 1080p 60hz despite the standard supports 4K at 24-30hz.

I  have myself a laptop with a processor 11th gen HDMI 2.0, but Lenovo decided to put just an HDMI 1.4 port...  I was aware of this since it is not a big problem for me, the laptop also has a USB-C supporting 4K at 60hz and that is enough for me...

I suggest to check the PC manual before any purchase and review the "video modes" or "supported resolutions" to see the full list

0 Kudos