Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

intel core i7 7740x is way to hot (90-97 degrees celcius!) despite the fact that i have several fans and a good cooler in my big tower.

MDerm
Beginner

I bought a new Pc with an Intel Core i7 7740x and a Zotac GTX 1080 TI AMP Extreme in it and i am very happy about the performance but the problem is if i start to play for example Battlefield 1 with ultra and full hd settings, my Processor Reaches Temperatures of nearly 100 degrees celsius.

I cant seem to fix the problem, so in a last ditch effort i am asking for help here in the forums.

Does anyone else have the same Problem ?

Can you help me fix it ?

If more Information is needed i can try to provide.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What is your cooler doing when these temperatures are occurring? For Desktop processors, at any temperatures above the processor's Control Temperature (Tcontrol), the processor cooling fan/blower/pump should be running at full speed (100% duty cycle). If it is not, then you need to fix your fan speed control configuration. This is typically done in the BIOS configuration, though some motherboard manufacturers provide applications for doing this in the O/S environment.

So, how do you determine your processor's Tcontrol temperature threshold? You need to read the contents of the IA32 Temperature Target Model-Specific Register (MSR). Bits 16-23 of this MSR will tell you the processor's Maximum Junction Temperature (Tjmax) and bits 8 - 15 of this MSR will tell you the processor's Tcontrol Offset. Tcontrol is then calculated by subtracting the Tcontrol Offset from the Tjmax value. In order to read this MSR, you need to use a program designed to support this capability. On Windows, I use a freeware tool called RWEverything to display MSR readings.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. There are a number of conversations here in the Intel Communities forums that talk about issues with the processor voltage configuration that is being performed by the BIOS on certain motherboards and that temperatures can be more reasonable and manageable when the BIOS is properly configured. You might want to review these conversations as well...

0 Kudos
MDerm
Beginner

So i checked my Tjmax, the value is 100 Degrees.

The mainboard im using is called MSI msi x299 sli plus.

My Fan is at max speed.

Im really Helpless, may it be that my Processor is broken ?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Is it configured to run at 100% at all temperatures above it Tcontrol setting (not Tjmax)? I suggest that you have the fan duty cycle rise from your chosen minimum duty cycle to maximum (100%) duty cycle over temperature range Tcontrol-20 to Tcontrol.

Also, did you look into the Voltage issue?

...S

P.S. No, your processor is not broken. IMHO, temperatures can be more volatile due to Intel's decision to use thermal paste instead of solder below its heat spreader.

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

I would check your cooler. What do you have for a cooler?

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

See response # 1 above.

...S

0 Kudos
sshat
Beginner

I've been having a very similar problem. Mine just pretty much overheats despite having liquid cooling and minimal apps open. I'm reaching temperatures of 101 centigrade and only running a 3d app rendering with minimal geometry. The polygon count is under 3000 polys, which is minuscule.

0 Kudos