Processors
Processors (Intel® Core™, Intel® Xeon®, etc); processor utilities and programs (Intel® Processor Identification Utility, Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, Intel® Easy Streaming Wizard, etc.)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11689 Discussions

intel core2 quad q8400 overheat

idata
Community Manager

hi all , i already builded a new pc desktop , using intel dg43 nb desktop board , and intel core2 quad q8400 2.6 ghz , 4gb of kingston ram ...the question is on normal load the cpu temperature showing between 40 to 50 degree celciuc , but on heavy load when all cpu's works on 100% the temperature is going around 75 degree celcius..

i work on 3dmax and vray , and the temperature is going that hight while i am on rendering...

the question is : is it normal for the cpu temperature to go that high on heavy load ? or the temperature it should be lesser than that....

please help , and thanks for all....

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Community Manager

It depends on many thing, ambient temp, airflow, tim etc. But your temps are fione under load

idata
Community Manager

hi , and thanks for the help , if the temperature gone higher than 75 degree , is the pc will shutdown or it will restart?

and do you know any way to test the cpu if it is working as it should or not ....sorry i am new in this field ...and thanks again for your help..

Vegan
New Contributor I

Both Intel and AMD processors will throttle back when they get too hot. Get a better chassis with more fans to keep the heat down as it can harm a lot of components.

Vegan
New Contributor I

You might need a better chassis with better air flow. That and a better CPU cooler.

idata
Community Manager

hi, and thanks for the help . i am using an original intel fan and cooler , i use to have before a dual core processor with a temperature reach around 40-41 c on normal load ... do you have an information if the quad core generate more temperature than the dual core ....

thanks...

idata
Community Manager

This does not answer your query directly but I guess it will help.

Intel hosts live chat event with their experts where people can discuss Intel products technologies. The next event will be held around their core processors. I think that it will be a good platform to ask this or any other question. The next event is on 26th March at 9:30 am GMT. More info at

www.intellivechat.com/

idata
Community Manager

thanks to all of you for the help you provide ...

have a nice day

idata
Community Manager

hey i am also using same configuration

when i am rendering with mental ray temperature is going 80degrees centigrade

i think so many people are getting the same problem

do you have any solution?

TIM_S_Intel
Employee

Tcase is 76.3°C

Are you getting the temp from your BIOS?

May check for a BIOS update, if your processor FHS is properly seated, Your processor TIM .

Is this a new built system? What is your chassis>

Air flow is important, but you should not be adding chassis fans if you have a recomended TAC 2.0 case.

see:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031446.htm http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031446.htm

idata
Community Manager

Yaa yesterday i updated Bios also

i changed heat sink also

i am not understandng why it's over heating, please give me solution, can apply it to cooling solution

is there any problem in processor

please help me