Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

intel core2 quad q8400 overheat

idata
Employee

hi all , i already builded a new pc desktop , using intel dg43 nb desktop board , and intel core2 quad q8400 2.6 ghz , 4gb of kingston ram ...the question is on normal load the cpu temperature showing between 40 to 50 degree celciuc , but on heavy load when all cpu's works on 100% the temperature is going around 75 degree celcius..

i work on 3dmax and vray , and the temperature is going that hight while i am on rendering...

the question is : is it normal for the cpu temperature to go that high on heavy load ? or the temperature it should be lesser than that....

please help , and thanks for all....

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

It depends on many thing, ambient temp, airflow, tim etc. But your temps are fione under load

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hi , and thanks for the help , if the temperature gone higher than 75 degree , is the pc will shutdown or it will restart?

and do you know any way to test the cpu if it is working as it should or not ....sorry i am new in this field ...and thanks again for your help..

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

Both Intel and AMD processors will throttle back when they get too hot. Get a better chassis with more fans to keep the heat down as it can harm a lot of components.

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

You might need a better chassis with better air flow. That and a better CPU cooler.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hi, and thanks for the help . i am using an original intel fan and cooler , i use to have before a dual core processor with a temperature reach around 40-41 c on normal load ... do you have an information if the quad core generate more temperature than the dual core ....

thanks...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This does not answer your query directly but I guess it will help.

Intel hosts live chat event with their experts where people can discuss Intel products technologies. The next event will be held around their core processors. I think that it will be a good platform to ask this or any other question. The next event is on 26th March at 9:30 am GMT. More info at

www.intellivechat.com/

idata
Employee

thanks to all of you for the help you provide ...

have a nice day

idata
Employee

hey i am also using same configuration

when i am rendering with mental ray temperature is going 80degrees centigrade

i think so many people are getting the same problem

do you have any solution?

0 Kudos
TIM_S_Intel
Employee

Tcase is 76.3°C

Are you getting the temp from your BIOS?

May check for a BIOS update, if your processor FHS is properly seated, Your processor TIM .

Is this a new built system? What is your chassis>

Air flow is important, but you should not be adding chassis fans if you have a recomended TAC 2.0 case.

see:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031446.htm http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031446.htm

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yaa yesterday i updated Bios also

i changed heat sink also

i am not understandng why it's over heating, please give me solution, can apply it to cooling solution

is there any problem in processor

please help me

0 Kudos