Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

intel i5-8250u Turbo Boost not enabled

VVilá
Beginner

I have an acer a515-51g and after a reinstalled windows 10 Pro, the clock is fixed on 1,58GHz and 88% max usage,before it was working properly.

In XTU it says that Turbo Boost is disabled, and the option "enable" is greyed out, how do i enable it?

I can't find any option related to it in BIOS.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Wow, this is the second one today. Check the driver downloads on the acer site for your laptop, under "Turbo Boost Driver"

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/MY/content/support-product/7244?b=1

Personally, I would always check the manufacturer of the laptop first. It is their device and they are responsible for supporting it.

Doc

VVilá
Beginner

Hi, thanks for the help, but this was the first thing I did besides flashing the BIOS, it did not help.

But I seem to have found a way around the issue with a software called ThrottleStop, enabling turbo boost and setting it to start with Windows.

It's not the ideal solution but I think it will do until I send my laptop for service.​

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Does the driver from Acer install properly? Did you have this throttleshop installed before the acer driver? If so, remove it, and try the acer driver again.

Doc

0 Kudos
VVilá
Beginner

It seems to be working now, I installed Windows 10 home and flashed an older version of the BIOS.

Thanks for the help, I will be deleting the post.​

0 Kudos
MMila10
Beginner

I have the same issue. My i5 8250u is locked at 1600mhz in every game. Why is this cpu doesnt use turbo boost in heavy tasks like games? What bios version did you install? Is it getting above 1600mhz with older bios?​

pabitras75
Beginner
I have the same issue with the same processer,in acer A515-51g
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Start a new thread for yourself.   This is an old thread.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Do not delete the post. It helps others that may have a similar problem.

Doc

0 Kudos
Athe_M
Beginner

I also happen to come across the same problem but my laptop is of HP ,

so after many attempts and all possible trials I am still at a dead end .

I now just wish to see it once above 1.5Ghz (which is where it tops out)

Someone PLZ help me !.

Laptop Model : HP Laptop 15g-dr0xxx

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Is turbo boost turned on in your bios?  If not, turn it on. 

No such option in the bios?  Contact HP for assistance with their bios.

Doc

0 Kudos
Athe_M
Beginner

No options present for turning on turbo boost mode .

Thank you for your quick response , have a nice day !

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Well, it should be working, it is just you do not see it.

You could run the IPDT:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005567/processors.html

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The maximum clock speed is programmed by the BIOS. As well, any limitations that the system design has imposed on clock speed are similarly controlled by the BIOS. You may have the ability within the BIOS to adjust these parameters. If not, I suggest you contact HP support.

That said, I cannot help but make a few comments here. Seeing limitations on clock speed like this is typically done to make up for the fact that they have provided a cheap and crappy cooling solution. It is a way that the slimier vendors will use to line their pockets with your money. You think you are getting a quality product when in fact you are just getting ripped off. HP has been in my sights before for this behaviour. Their support (and warranty duration) is awful too; yet another way that they rip you off. Remember that you pay for this support and your warranty. IMHO, anything less that three years is crap. Don't accept this; demand better! If they don't comply, well, spend your money elsewhere.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos