Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

intel(r) core(tm) i5-3337u cpu @ 1.80ghz

OÖzde1
Beginner

Normally it says it can be 2.70 but it is 2.53.

What can I do to get to 2.70.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello OÖzde1

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

The Intel® processor uses Intel® Turbo Boost Technology to increase the base frequency from 1.80 GHz up to 2.70 GHz (the frequency that the processor is capable of operating using Intel® Turbo Boost Technology depending on the system workload).           

Please refer to frequently asked questions for Intel® Turbo Boost Technology for detailed information about this technology; in the question “Can I specify the maximum Intel® Turbo Boost Technology frequency?” you can see that the frequency would increase depending on the system needs.  

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The Maximum Turbo Boost Frequency for a processor is the maximum frequency that can be achieved by a single core when this core is the only core active and other conditions (power, temperature, etc.) allow. Now, there can be a significant difference between a processor's possible and actual Maximum Turbo Boost Frequency. This is determined based upon by the maximum clock speed for the processor (which has been configured in the BIOS) and this was, in turn, determined based upon the maximum power that the processor is allowed to consume, the maximum thermal dissipation available for the processor, etc. The BIOS has a set of parameters that determine the maximum clock multiplier (Turbo Ratio) that a single active core, two active cores, etc. can use. The maximum clock multiplier for a single core is typically equivalent to the maximum clock speed divided by the base clock frequency. For example, if the maximum clock speed is 3.5 GHz and the back clock frequency is 100MHz, then the maximum clock multiplier is 35. As more cores become active, the clock multiplier that can be used will need to drop, based upon the conditions discussed. Note that, in some system designs, these parameters are locked by the manufacturer so the user may not change them and, in some cases, hidden from display so that the user cannot even view them.

Bottom line, I would be willing to bet that your system manufacturer has limited the maximum clock speed to 3.5GHz and thus this is the maximum achievable frequency for a single core and what you will see.

For more information, consult:

Clear as mud?

...S

0 Kudos