Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

is 10th Core-X cpu has fixed Meltdown/Spectre bug in hardware?

Jiangv
Beginner

I was doing a contest between 7980xe and 10980xe, between this two chip, some of the tests showing 10980xe is a little slower then 7980xe, and my os and bios is up to date, so it should be 7980xe slower then 10980xe, anyone knows the difference?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

My understanding is that fixes for most aspects of Spectre are included, but nothing for Meltdown. O/S-level workarounds for Meltdown will need to stay in place.

...S

0 Kudos
Jiangv
Beginner

Thanks Scott

I am waiting for intel's confirmation on this, cause the difference between two chips are crucial for our workloads performance, it should be slower then 7980xe in any aspects, at least it has be the same, after all, two chips running at same CPU / Mesh frequence, that's why it bothers me a lot.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello 志蒋000,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® Communities. 

In regards to your inquiry, the Meltdown/Spectre bug has been fixed on Intel® 10th generation processors.

You can check the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00088.html

10th generation processors are not listed on Affected products.

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Jiangv
Beginner

Hi Adrian

Thanks for your explains, But I still not understand, why my bios and centos kernel is up to date but the 7980xe performance still better then 10980xe?

Our appilication is a highly latency related app.

Do you think if we using old bios and centos kernel will gain back the performance that 10980xe lost? Just a thought, we want to fully understand how it affect the system performance.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello 志蒋000,

Thank you for your response.

I compared both processors on our website and I would like to share with you the comparison link so you can check the difference in the performance of each processor.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=126699,198017

if you are using a third-party software to compare them, it would be good to check with the software developer to make sure what the software determines.

The performance not only depend about the processor it also depends on the components of your computer like memory, cooling solution, programs and also performance can be affected by the BIOS because there could be a customization by the system manufacturer, you might ask your system manufacturer in order to get more information about components you might use to get better performance on your computer.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
Jiangv
Beginner

Hi Adrian,

our testing is to measure port to port latency, my test system config is totally the same, between two tests, the only component that changed is the CPU, the hardware setup, os kernel/bios/system tuning is all the same.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello 志蒋000,

Thank you for your response.

You are using a third software that we have no idea how it works, besides those tests, I would like to make a note that there could be a BIOS customization by the OEM that might affect the processor performance even if it's the latest one since OEM normally perform their own customizations to their systems.

What we can do is recommend you to run some tools from Intel to make sure the processor Intel® Core™ i9-10980XE is working within specifications.

You can run:

1. Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (The tool is to verify the functionality of an Intel® microprocessor. The diagnostic tool checks for brand identification verifies the processor operating frequency, tests specific processor features, and performs a stress test on the processor).
  2. Intel® Processor Identification Utility - Windows* Version (You can identify the actual specification of your processor).
  3. Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility - Intel® XTU (you can monitor and stress a system).

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Jiangv,

We were checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to run the test recommended in the previous post.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello 志蒋000,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos