Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

is Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238R Processor higher than Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238L Processor

DrSohailPhatak
Beginner

can any body  tell me that Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238R Processor is higher than Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238L Processor?
Actually, I published the Public Tender for Server with  Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238L/higher.

In bids one bidder quoted Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238L Processor and claiming that it is higher than Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238L Processor.

The other bidder quoted Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238L Processor and claiming that  Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238R is not compliant to the tender as it has less memory Teir support of 1 Tb whereas  Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238L Processor is 4.5TB.

Please help to decide.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
IntelSupport

Hello DrSohailPhatak,

Hopefully, you found the information provided helpful.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
IntelSupport

Hello DrSohailPhatak,

Thank you for posting your question on this Intel® Community.

• Could you please let us know what you mean when you say that you would like to know if Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238R Processor is higher than Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238L Processor (e.g. performance)?
  • If possible, I would like to have more information about the use case for this component and the platform it is intended for.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
DrSohailPhatak
Beginner

Actually, In Public tender I just published "2x Intel Xeon Gold 6238L/higher 2.1G, 22C/44T, 10.4GT/s, 30.25MB Cache, Turbo, or higher". As per procurement rules only Higher Processor is acceptable. Higher means higher in all features.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello DrSohailPhatak,

Thank you for your response.

As you can see in the following link from our Product Specifications page here https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=199345,193958, Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238R Processor has more Core and Threads. The Base Frequency, Max Turbo Frequency, and Cache is also higher. 

The Max Memory Size for Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238L Processor is higher due to Scalability (i.e socket scalability: 2S and 4S). In other words, one processor is more suitable than the other depending on your needs, workload, use case, and performance required for your system environment.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
DrSohailPhatak
Beginner

Thank you very much for your response.

It means in one way Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238R Processor is higher and in other way it is lower than Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238L Processor.

As I earlier wrote that the tender is already published in Newspapers  with processor description " 2x Intel Xeon Gold 6238L/higher "and now bids have been received, the Procurement Department requires a clear statement regarding processor  to take the decision. This decision may have the legal consequences. Please clarify.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello DrSohailPhatak,

When it comes to Intel products, what I can recommend is that you use the Intel Product Specifications website to compare the technical specifications of Intel® Xeon® processors and make a decision based on your business needs and performance requirements.

To give you an example, Intel® Xeon® Processors have different CPU and memory specifications to deliver high-performance and scalability across different uses, but choosing between processors depends on the workload, applications, the role, or configuration of the system you will be using. This is important because performance varies depending on system configuration.

Having said that, please let me know if you can provide additional details about the project your company is working on.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello DrSohailPhatak,

Were you able to review the information provided?

If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate update this thread.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
DrSohailPhatak
Beginner

Hi,

Please explain each difference  in the features and which is high and low

0 Kudos
DrSohailPhatak
Beginner

please find the details of Server which published

Item

Description

Form Factor/Casing

Rack Server with Rails kit with accessories including Cable Management, KVM Display cable, power cables, PDU if required

Software

Complete Server Management Software

Processor, Clock speed and Chipset

2 Way, 2x Intel Xeon Gold 6238L/higher 2.1G, 22C/44T, 10.4GT/s, 30.25MB Cache, Turbo, or higher

C620 series or latest

Front Side Bus

2933 MHz

Cache

30.25MB Per Processor or higher

Memory installed

512 (4*128GB or higher) DDR4 2933 RECC expandable to 1TB or above

disk drives installed

3x 1TB/above GB SSD 2.5-inch /higher Hot Plug as per RAID 5 requirement

(1X600GB SAS 15 K 12G, 2.5-inch hot plug as per RAID5)

Media Drives

DVD-RW Drive

RAID Controller

RAID controller with 2GB Cache and Battery Backup Unit

Network Adapter

4 x 1Gigabit Ethernet Onboard and 2 x 10GB RJ45

USB Ports

USB 3.0 ports

Fiber Channel HBA

2xSingle Port Fiber Channel Controller 32GBit/s with multimode Connector, 6thGeneration (HBA)

Virtualization platforms Support

All types of Virtualization platforms: i.e. VMware, XenServer, Hyper-V, Value-added features: VMware VAAI/VASA/SRM, Hyper-V, vSphere, vCenter

Power Supply

Hot-Swap Redundant Power Supply (750 W)/or above

Management Controller

Management Controller with graphical Console

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello DrSohailPhatak,

Although both processors are 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable Processors, Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238R Processor is newer. Actually, the suffix R stands for "Refresh", which means performance improvement. For this reason, this processor has more Core Count and Cache (MB). The Processor Base Frequency (GHz) and Max Turbo Frequency Rate (GHz) are higher too. Based solely on these specifications, we can conclude that Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238R Processor is higher than Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238L Processor. However, it is very important to mention that the features and benefits these processor offer depend on system configuration; performance varies depending on system configuration.

Now, when it comes to Memory Specifications, Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238L Processor is higher due to greater memory capacity. The Suffix L in this processor number stands for Large DDR Memory Tier Support (up to 4.5 TB). It is worth mentioning that the Number of CPU Sockets Supported by Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238L Processor is higher (Up to 4) as well.

In this scenario, socket scalability and memory bandwidth/capacity greatly depends on your server environment, server platforms, business needs, workload, among other factors.

Differences are highlighted in blue in the following link:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=199345,193958

I hope you find this information helpful.

Wanner G.

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit :https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello DrSohailPhatak,

Does this mean that you decided to use the Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238L Processor on your server configuration?

If you need any further assistance, please let me know.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
DrSohailPhatak
Beginner

yes, It was published in News Paper and one bidder quoted Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238R Processor and claiming that it is higher than Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238L Processor whereas otherone is negating this

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello DrSohailPhatak,

In summary, Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238R Processor is newer and has overall performance improvement. However, if higher memory capacity than 1TB is required, then Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238L Processor is more suitable as it supports Higher Memory Capacity.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello DrSohailPhatak,

Hopefully, you found the information provided helpful.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Wanner G.

0 Kudos