Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

is i9 9980xe Supports Windows 7? Please Help

Mauel
Beginner

Hi, I have old software that works only on Windows 7, but I need more performance and want to upgrade to i9 and I choose 9 Gen i9 9980xe, who knows is this supports or compatible with windows 7, is it fully functional with that version? thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Only  Windows 10 and greater on 7th gen and later processors.

Try running in W10 in compatibility mode, or run on W10 with a W7 virtual machine, or get rid of the old software.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
TheFighterJetDude

Don't listen to the guy below. Yes, windows 7 WILL work, just use the <REMOVED>, and drag and drop the EXE on to a windows 7 ISO, for NVME and USB3 support. As you see below I have 7 on my 12900k. There is no reason at all it will not work.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@TheFighterJetDude No, you are 100% wrong.  Only Windows 10 (and later) is supported on 7th gen and later processors.  This is Microsoft's rule.  Just because you hacked an install does not mean it is supported.  You come here giving bad advice, and that is not welcome.  And, you specifically looked for an old thread to spread your tripe.

The correct answer is to use W10 or later with a W7 VM.   Personally, I do not buy the "my application only runs on W7" excuse.  If true, correct the application or replace it.  Most likely, however, it is some die-hard who simply does not want to upgrade, or thinks they are being clever with a hack.  Either way, wincows 7 is discontinued, dead, and not supported.   Time to move on.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
TheFighterJetDude

Windows 7 DOES work!

0 Kudos