Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

laptop CPU upgrade

Agand2
Beginner

Hello there everyone, i have an old laptop toshiba satalite C-850-b908 with Core i3 3120m CPU and i wanted to upgrade it so i check a local store for used stuff and i found an Core i7 3621QM, so i figured both are laptop cpu's from the 3rd gen series, but when i read the specs the Core i3 socket is FCPGA988 and the Core i7 socket FCPGA 1224, few people are saying that the the cpu will fit into the mobo but i may have bios issue's but i wanna hear it from here, if you have an info that i could use please reply

thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello troyzuw,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I understand that you would like to upgrade your mobile processor. I would like to help you with this.

Our recommendation is that you can contact your system manufacturer, Toshiba, as it is familiar with the specifications and the processors your computer supports.

Regarding the BIOS issues other people were mentioning, lack of BIOS support for your processor can cause the system to not boot or exhibit erratic behavior. This is why it is important to work with Toshiba to validate that your computer will support the processor upgrade as planned. It is worth mentioning that even if the processor and motherboard sockets match, your system BIOS may not support the new processor.

Keep in mind that you may void the warranty as well.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Wanner G.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello troyzuw,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I understand that you would like to upgrade your mobile processor. I would like to help you with this.

Our recommendation is that you can contact your system manufacturer, Toshiba, as it is familiar with the specifications and the processors your computer supports.

Regarding the BIOS issues other people were mentioning, lack of BIOS support for your processor can cause the system to not boot or exhibit erratic behavior. This is why it is important to work with Toshiba to validate that your computer will support the processor upgrade as planned. It is worth mentioning that even if the processor and motherboard sockets match, your system BIOS may not support the new processor.

Keep in mind that you may void the warranty as well.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Wanner G.
AlHill
Super User

Two things, Raju -

First, I believe the Op (troyzuw) has the model number incorrect and it should be i7-3612QM.

Second, if so, you are incorrect as they MAY BE socket compatible:

https://ark.intel.com/compare/64901,67356,71465 Intel® Product Specification Comparison .

However, the Op has been given bad information regarding socket 1224 - it is BGA and not PGA. The i7-3612qm can be PGA988 or BGA1224. If PGA988 is the socket in his laptop, good, he may be in luck. And, if his existing processor is socket BGA1023, none if this matters and he can stop now as his processor is soldered to the motherboard. Look at "Package Specifications, package size" in the above link.

Now, all of that said, Wanner G is correct. To upgrade a processor, it must be SOCKET, CHIPSET, and BIOS compatible. To determine if the upgrade processor is BIOS compatible, the op MUST contact TOSHIBA and ask them which processors are compatible with THEIR BIOS.

Specifically, read paragraph 2 from the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005682/processors.html Intel® Desktop Processor Upgrade Information

Doc

0 Kudos
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

your motherboard processor are not fit for i7 , eventhough I its same 3rd generation , because different socket having pins ,

0 Kudos
PUNKMH
Beginner

I've a similar question for my Clevo laptop P640HK with an i7-7700HQ cpu, socket BGA1440.

For upgrade to Windows11 I must upgrade to a higher mobile family and at least to Core i7-8....

I understand that the new cpu had to fit socket BGA1440, that is not the problem because Core i7-9.... have the same socket. But is it a problem when the upgrade cpu has more cores, threads, higher freq. and / or larger caches? I guess a higher TDP (45Watt for the i7-7700HQ) is a problem but a lower TDP?

Wat cpu is the best to take for the upgrade from my i7-7700HQ?

THX! all for your solutions.

PUNKMH

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

This thread is four years old.   You should have started a new thread.

You can forget about upgrading to a different processor, as  your current processor is soldered to the motherboard.

Contact Clevo for any ideas, i.e. new motherboard with the processor you want.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
PUNKMH
Beginner
Oké AlHill, I will ask Clevo what to do. Didn't know that the cpu is soldered, that's stopped all illusions. New motherboard isn't efficient. For that better buy new barebone Clevo and put all components that could be switched in there. But I'll ask first. THX!
PUNKMH
0 Kudos