Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

machine check exception on core i7 5775c

MKorz1
Beginner

When i try to start a Microsoft Office 2016 app like Outlook, word or Excel my pc freezes and i get a blue screen with a "machine check exception" error massage. After i googled this i found out that there are several users having the same error with broadwell-cpus. Is there a generall fix arround? I just built my new pc last week with a asus z97a Mainboard 16bg ram and a crucial ssd. I allready updated every Driver i could think of. Still i can't use Office and most likely other programs as well.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
OMiro1
Beginner

Hello,

There is known problem with Broadwell CPU & Office 2016 (and other apps that uses virtualization). New BIOS for your motherboard was just published on ASUS site. Could you please try it and tell us if it repairs problems with Office? I hope it does...

Best regards,

Oskar

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Marcus_64:

I was able to find some troubleshooting steps provided directly by Microsoft support for this situation.

Basically the troubleshooting would be to access the Office application with the problem in safe mode and then see if the system crashes or not.

If the system works fine, then some "COM Add-in" would have to be disabled during the safe mode.

Here you can find the Microsoft support link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016_preview-outlook/outlook-2016-preview-crash-bsod-on-launch/c38aface-9895-4874-80b8-842bb5fe099d/?auth=1 Outlook 2016 preview crash (BSOD) on launch - Microsoft Community

Finally, if you encounter with any additional questions or concerns, do not hesitate to advise me.

Regards,

Esteban C.

MKorz1
Beginner

Thank you Esteban C

but unfortunately that doesn't help at all. Outlook doesn't start in safe mode, so there is no problem with COM Add-ins.

Marcus

0 Kudos
OMiro1
Beginner

Hello,

There is known problem with Broadwell CPU & Office 2016 (and other apps that uses virtualization). New BIOS for your motherboard was just published on ASUS site. Could you please try it and tell us if it repairs problems with Office? I hope it does...

Best regards,

Oskar

0 Kudos
MKorz1
Beginner

It works!!!

Thank you Oskar

and thanks to ASUS

BIOS 2801 works perfectly - so far

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello All:

Thank you mirosz for the information provided regarding the fix for this specific case.

The recommendation would be to check the release notes for the latest BIOS of your Motherboard to check if the issue has been fixed for that release.

Do not hesitate to advise us if the issue persists.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos