Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

missing pin imprints on CPU backside

felix2
Beginner

Hello,

after some trouble of not getting a new system build (Asus WS C621E Sage / 2 x Xeon 6248R) through POST, I thought I inspect the processor a bit further and noticed that a lot of lands did not come into contact with socket pins (black circles), i.e. socket pins not leaving any indentations as they did on others.

Is this intended by design, like leaving some lands blank, or is this a sign of a faulty / malfunctioning socket which may prevent the system from booting up properly?

Thanks.backside_CPU2_closeUp.jpg

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AdrianM_Intel

Hello felix2,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

It's recommended to verify the heatsink installation, for installation reference:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023869/processors/intel-xeon-processors.html

They need to tighten with 12 in-lb each fastener in sequence though the pattern shown with the circles, it could indeed be unused pins.

Can you please provide us another picture? a fuller picture of the processor so we can check out some details about the pins.

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
felix2
Beginner

Hi Adrian,

thanks a lot for taking a look! As far as I can see from the video, I obeyed the correct mounting procedure. Also in a second attempt to fix the pins seemingly not making contact I tried to tighten the mounting screws all the way in. However this made no difference and since I heard no obvious cracks while doing so, I assume nothing has been damaged :).

Your point "it could indeed be unused pins" seems very likely, since I cross-checked with the markings left on the second CPU and they perfectly line up, which I would doubt to be very unlikely if this is due to a malfunctioning socket. I attached a complete view for you to check if this may be true.

backside_CPU2_full.jpg

Unfortunatly this still leaves me with the intial problem of not getting the system through POST. It gets stuck at "No memory detected", although the modules I purchased are specifically listed in the QVL list by Asus.

Regards,

Felix

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello Felix2,

Thank you for your response.

Taking into consideration your cross-checked test and the ones that are not making contact, it looks like a malfunctioning socket, it would be good to check with ASUS support about these pins not making contact.

The other suggestion will be to try minimal configuration and use 1 processor at the time; the processor that is socket 2 in socket 1 and vice-versa with only one stick of RAM following the population DIMM rules stated by ASUS for example with one DIMM use slot X1 and CPU 1 but if the result is the same, you may consider a board replacement or try a different board.

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos