Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

my cpu is at 1200mhz and is thermal throttling at low temps

ieike
Beginner

for a week ago i got a new gpu,case,powersupply i moved the motherboard from the old case into the new one, so for some reason the cpu has become stupid and is running at 1.2ghz and my performance is pretty bad i cant find anything on the internet about how to fix it

ive updated bios and updated the drivers for the cpu but it hasnt worked https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WSagvpWNXZ5Jn2O8Fmz0uCn0Wv6pxV4Z it says its thermal throttling wich i find wierd cus it worked fine before i switched case and componements

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I would redo your cooling system/thermal paste. If it worked before the move, it should work after the move. Unless you jarred or disturbed the cooling fan or did not reinstall it correctly.

Doc

0 Kudos
ieike
Beginner

it should be installed correctly and it says that the temps is low so could it be a problem with something else than cooling?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"Should be" is not the answer. It is either installed correctly, or not.

When you made the move, did you remove the cooling system, or leave it in place?

If you removed it, you had to reinstall it.

If you did not remove it, then you have have caused the the cooling system to become unseated slightly.

Whatever the case, this is not an Intel problem, as you stated it was working correctly before you moved the board.

You may also want to try using the old power supply and old graphics as a test. If the system returns to normal, then your new power supply or graphics are the cause.

Doc

0 Kudos
ieike
Beginner

i hooked up the old parts still got the same problem that its thermal throttling at 30-40c installed the new ones again new thermal paste the heat sink is tight up against the cpu, is there any settings on intel extreme tuning thing that can stop the throtteling at such low temps?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Run iPDT, and see if it says throttling is actually due to thermals. Also, after a change like this, you should remove and reseat everything, DIMMs and processor included.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005567/processors.html

Doc

0 Kudos