Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

my intel i-5 9400f cant use turbo boost

DCeng
Beginner

Hello to everyone. the processor I have does not exceed 3.9 ghz. In the first place, I contacted ASUS because I thought this was related to the motherboard BIOS version or setting, but they think it was due to a bug in the processor. To put it simply, the intel i-5 9400f cannot activate the turbo boost feature, I would love to follow your suggestions about this problem. thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

DCeng, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology dynamically increases the processor's frequency as needed by taking advantage of thermal and power headroom to give you a burst of speed when you need it, and increased energy efficiency when you don’t, it works automatically depending on the load of work at the moment, in the following link you will find more details about this topic:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007359/processors/intel-core-processors.html

The Processor Base Frequency of the Intel® Core™ i5-9400F is 2.90 GHz, when using Intel® Turbo Boost Technology it could reach up to 4.10 GHz, but not necessarily has to get there, the fact that the frequency of the unit gets to 3.9 GHz it actually indicates that the feature is working properly:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/190883/intel-core-i5-9400f-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

Just to confirm the information above, we can always run the Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool, it does an overall test on the unit and if it passed it then indicates that the Intel® Processor is working fine:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
DCeng
Beginner

Thank you for your answer. I have already done the tests. there was no problem. What was stuck in my head was that it worked at 3.89 ghz under load while 4.05 ghz was able to operate without heavy loads on the processor (under normal use). Apparently, when I talked to Asus whether the motherboard is doing this speed stabilization, they seemed to mislead me. Because when I said the problem I mentioned above, they said that there is a problem in the processor if it does not see 4.10 ghz, the tests seem normal, and as far as I know they said it is not expected to use 4.10 ghz steadily, but they said they should see no. As a result, while I was thinking like you, the ASUS support line misled me. Thank you again for your answer, Mr. Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

DCeng, You are very wlecome, thank you very much for sharing those details.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the Intel® Core™ i5-9400F Processor passed the test indicating that it is working properly and so the Intel® Turbo Boost feature.

Any other inqury, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos