Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

need help on updated processor

alanmm
Beginner

i have upgrade my cpu to Intel Core i7-870 @ 2.93GHz CPU Processor (Socket LGA 1156) SLBJG

and i have an intel dp55wb i know its compatible but after i put it in it gives me 3 long beeps and my memory is fined didnt change anything except the cpu can anyone help

Device name DESKTOP-KIJFLHL
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 660 @ 3.33GHz 3.33 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Device ID 4CB4EF00-E5D3-43D7-9AA1-BB94D72A0902
Product ID 00326-10000-00000-AA274
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Look, if all four sockets are working with the i5 processor, then we know that the two memory channels implemented on the board, as well as the four DIMMs (two per channel) inserted into these memory channels, are all working properly. If we then see only one of these channels actually working when a different processor is inserted, then it is that processor that has the problem.

Repeating, two is the correct number of memory channels. The board and processor (are supposed to) support two memory channels and two DIMMs per memory channel.

How dare I? I am not saying anything that isn't completely true. You need to be setting your expectations accordingly. This is an ancient, 12-year-old system. The MTBF for every component on the board - including even the solder - is long past. The same applies to almost every other component in the system - drives, power supply, graphics card, etc. I suggest that you be very careful what you spend on this system. I consider it throwing away good money for bad. I would be putting up with it, as it is, until you have the finds saved up to replace the whole system with something more, um, contemporary.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
34 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Depending on your board AA revision, there are specific BIOS requirements.   What is your AA revisioon, and what bios version do you have?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner

SMBIOSBIOSVersion
WBIBX10J.86A.0293.2010.0419.1819

0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner

how do you find the aa revision

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Still need the AA number.   Look on the board for the AA sticker and provide the number.

0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner

AA E64798-206 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Your bios (0293) and AA (E64798-206) are OK.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/desktop-boards/DP55WB.pdf

Try using fewer sticks of memory.

0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner

there are 4 slots what should i start with like just 1 all the way to the right etc and if it does work will i be able to add the rest of the ram?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Try removing one pair, and then the other, to see if the three beeps still occur.

0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner
0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner

here

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That's one pair as in the DIMMs in the two black slots or the DIMMs in the two blue slots.

...S

0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner

ok i got it to run with 1 stick of ram but right before windows would come up it would shutdown, when i rebooted with old processor it said thermal heat event any ideas?

0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner

also if i fixed the thermal thing how do i add the rest of the ram

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
First of all, that shutdown is an indication that your cooling solution is either improperly installed or insufficient for the new processor.
Once you solve that, try running with two DIMMs installed, one in each channel (i.e., DIMMs in the blue sockets).
...S
0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner

i got 2 pieces of ram in but cant seem to get the 3rd and 4th without it beeping any advice

0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner

i thermal pasted it and everything the fan might have not been fully pressed on the processor i will try and see

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello alanmm,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.   

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it. I am glad to see that fellow community members have the knowledge, and they jumped in and helped. 

You may also find the Discontinued Products website (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html) helpful to address your request.  

You can get the specifications and verify this product's discontinuance status at the Intel® Product Specifications website > Product Status > "Discontinued". https://ark.intel.com/   

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you verified that, with the two sticks installed, you have fixed the thermal condition? Can you run for an extended period of time without thermtripping?

...S

0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner

yes no thermal problem it lets me put in ram in the 1st blue and 1st black slot but thats it

0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner

i dont know what else to do, i can use the computer with i7 proccessor and only 8gb ram or i5 processor with 16gb ram this sucks

0 Kudos