Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

need help on updated processor

alanmm
Beginner

i have upgrade my cpu to Intel Core i7-870 @ 2.93GHz CPU Processor (Socket LGA 1156) SLBJG

and i have an intel dp55wb i know its compatible but after i put it in it gives me 3 long beeps and my memory is fined didnt change anything except the cpu can anyone help

Device name DESKTOP-KIJFLHL
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 660 @ 3.33GHz 3.33 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Device ID 4CB4EF00-E5D3-43D7-9AA1-BB94D72A0902
Product ID 00326-10000-00000-AA274
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Look, if all four sockets are working with the i5 processor, then we know that the two memory channels implemented on the board, as well as the four DIMMs (two per channel) inserted into these memory channels, are all working properly. If we then see only one of these channels actually working when a different processor is inserted, then it is that processor that has the problem.

Repeating, two is the correct number of memory channels. The board and processor (are supposed to) support two memory channels and two DIMMs per memory channel.

How dare I? I am not saying anything that isn't completely true. You need to be setting your expectations accordingly. This is an ancient, 12-year-old system. The MTBF for every component on the board - including even the solder - is long past. The same applies to almost every other component in the system - drives, power supply, graphics card, etc. I suggest that you be very careful what you spend on this system. I consider it throwing away good money for bad. I would be putting up with it, as it is, until you have the finds saved up to replace the whole system with something more, um, contemporary.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
34 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You seem to be saying that the two DIMMs can only be put into the two slots for the same memory channel. If this is the case, then I would say that you purchased a used i7-870 processor that has only one working memory channel (i.e., the other channel has failed). Did you get any kind of guarantee with the purchase? If so, I would be returning this broken processor for refund.

...S

0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner

no gurantee

the other channel? 1 fits in blue slot then 1 next to it in black slot if i put anymore it will start beeping

0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner

does this channel thing happen often

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Just to be sure we are on the same page, are these the two DIMM slots closest to the processor (i.e., labelled as Channel A DIMM 0 and Channel A DIMM 1)?

Perhaps you should take closeup picture of the board's DIMM slots and post it here.

Does this happen often? No, not often, but I have seen it a few times over the years.

...S

0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner

the 2 slots that work are not the 2 closest to the processor, and this is my first time ever upgrading processor

0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner

take a look at this if this helps

0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner

here is pic of slots

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Report and picture while i5 and 4 DIMMs installed is of little use.
Counting from 1 closest to processor to 4 farthest from processor, which two slots worked?
...S
0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Ok, these two slots are for channel 2, telling us that channel 1 is broken in the i7-870 processor. As I indicated previously, your options are to either have this i7 processor replaced or stick with the i5.
Sorry, but these are the kinds of things that can happen when you are trying to keep a 12 year old system alive.
...S
0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner

keep alive how dare you, iam j/k iam going to buy another one and if it does the same thing that would mean your wrong right? i will keep you posted thx for all the help

0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner

hey when it says the processor has Max # of Memory Channels 2 is that my problem

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Look, if all four sockets are working with the i5 processor, then we know that the two memory channels implemented on the board, as well as the four DIMMs (two per channel) inserted into these memory channels, are all working properly. If we then see only one of these channels actually working when a different processor is inserted, then it is that processor that has the problem.

Repeating, two is the correct number of memory channels. The board and processor (are supposed to) support two memory channels and two DIMMs per memory channel.

How dare I? I am not saying anything that isn't completely true. You need to be setting your expectations accordingly. This is an ancient, 12-year-old system. The MTBF for every component on the board - including even the solder - is long past. The same applies to almost every other component in the system - drives, power supply, graphics card, etc. I suggest that you be very careful what you spend on this system. I consider it throwing away good money for bad. I would be putting up with it, as it is, until you have the finds saved up to replace the whole system with something more, um, contemporary.

...S

0 Kudos
alanmm
Beginner

hey i just want to say you were right i got a new one and it works, i couldnt have done it without you thx

0 Kudos