Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

ok so, I have a toshiba satellite a665-s6050 with a intel core i3 350m and was wanting to know if it was possible to put in a core i3-8130u. will the two fit and work?

CDoyl7
Beginner

windows 10 32bit

Intel® Core™ i3-350M Processor (3M Cache, 2.26 GHz)

Intel® Core™ i3-8130U Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Sorry, that is not possible. An upgrade processor must be socket, chipset, and bios compatible. Only toshiba can tell you what processors their bios supports.

Doc

0 Kudos
JimDandy
Beginner

The i3-8130u will no physically fit into the socket on that motherboard.

The highest upgrade possible for that laptop is an i7-640m. There are later model CPU's that will also fit the socket, but they don't have onboard graphics, and this laptop does not have or provide a means for discrete graphics. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

And, Toshiba would still have to verify that the i7-640m is supported by their bios.

When dealing with equipment this old, there is only one good response - replace the equipment with new(er) hardware.  Any benefit achieved by replacing a processor is minimal in today's world.  Do yourself and the environment a favour and take the laptop to a recycle facility.

Sorry, but that is the reality of the situation.

Doc

0 Kudos
JimDandy
Beginner

The real reality of the situation is that I have the identical notebook with the aforementioned i7 upgrade and it is fully supported as well as documented online by other users, which can be found by a simple Google search. 

These CPUs can be found for less than US $10, and it takes about 20 minutes to swap the CPU, so for someone who doesn't need the latest tech to impress their friends with, it's a lot more environmentally friendly than dropping it at a recycle center where it will ultimately rot away in a landfill. 

Sorry but that's the real reality of the situation. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The reality of the situation is that all of this hardware is unsupported, and that Toshiba is the only one who can answer the BIOS compatibility question.  And, what you and other users have gotten away with is not a verification of BIOS support.

But, have it your way.

Doc

0 Kudos
JimDandy
Beginner

The microcode for this CPU is in the latest BIOS, which means that it is supported by the BIOS. 

You can ask Toshiba, or you can check the BIOS yourself like the rest of us did, or you can keep using your opinion as a substitute for reality.

But have it your way. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

If you have already checked with toshiba, then you have done your part.  I stated what was needed to be done.  We do not check other manufacturers bios.  It is up the the user to investigate that.  That is reality.

But, as long as it works for you, be happy.  There will be a time, in the near future, when you will have to rid yourself of that toshiba, and step into reality.

Doc

0 Kudos
JimDandy
Beginner

But you didn't state what needed to be done. You simply told OP that it wasn't possible with no proof outside of your own opinion. 

Originally I thought you were just another user on this board, but now I'm really disappointed to find out that you're an Intel employee. If this is the best and brightest that Intel has to offer, then I do agree with your last statement. Its time to rid myself of Intel and start giving my money to AMD.  

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

But, I did tell the user what was needed.

" An upgrade processor must be socket, chipset, and bios compatible."

The user never responded back.  What is your point to all of this?  I answered the post

And, you are incorrect.  I am not an employee or contractor of Intel.  I am just a user, like you.  If you derived that I am an employee, then perhaps all of your other information regarding bios compatibility is incorrect as well.

Doc

0 Kudos
JimDandy
Beginner

"that is not possible. An upgrade processor must be socket, chipset, and bios compatible"

Anyhow, keep making up excuses to stroke your own ego I guess. Everybody is wrong, you're right. Its hilarious how you start accusing other people of being wrong when you know the proof is a few keystrokes away, but instead you feel the need to attack the people who disagree with you. You're the smartest "Doc" ever (somehow I get the idea that you gave yourself that nickname as another ego boost).  The BIOS compatibility is only a Google search away. Let me know if you need help figuring out how to use "the googles".  

I "derived" that you were an employee because you tried to make your posts sound like you were when you realized you were wrong. I used my own opinion to "derive" that when I should have clicked a couple times to see the reality, and it turned out my opinion was wrong. Sound familiar?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I play poker, but believe what you want. 

You have a wonderful day.

Doc

0 Kudos