Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

opinions i59600k

DYoun20
Beginner

Hi guys and gals new to the forum after moving away from amd to intel. I'm looking at the i5 9600k a good buy value for money etc or is there better for same price? Thanks alot

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

It really depends on your needs.

Do you need 6 cores and 6 threads?

Do you need a K processor (that can be over-clocked)?

Take a look at the specs: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134896/intel-core-i5-9600k-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html

Doc

0 Kudos
DYoun20
Beginner
Hi doc Thanks for the reply I do quite a bit of gaming streaming but have been restricted on my current set up. Amd fx 8350 Sapphire 990fx mobo Amd R9 390 gpu 16gb corsair ddr4 ram. I have been advised intel is the way for reliability. The i5 8900k is within my price range along with the gigabyte z390 pro wifi mobo and aorus ddr4 ram 3200. £540.95p Thanks Dan
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Of course, you will be getting a new motherboard, which has to have socket and bios support for the i5-9600K. And, if the board's bios has to be upgraded to support the i5-9600K, this would have to be done BEFORE you install the i5-9600K. So, make sure you have the proper bios support on the new motherboard.

Are you planning on salvaging the video card and memory?

In case you want to look at other processors, you can use this tool:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/search/featurefilter.html?productType=873

Doc

0 Kudos
DYoun20
Beginner
Hi yes the z390 motherboards have the correct bios update the z370 needs the update. I was going to use the same video card for the minute as it doesnt seem to be the problem at the moment. The memory I will put on Ebay.
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

It certainly sounds like you are on the right path. I cannot offer more without knowing the actual workload, but you should be OK.

Perhaps one of the Intel support engineers can provide their recommendations.

Doc

0 Kudos
DYoun20
Beginner
That's ok thanks for your help
0 Kudos