Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14500 Discussions

overheating\перегрев i5-8400

AS26
Beginner

Здравствуйте купил процеcсор intel core i5-8400 BOX и у него очень высокие температуры. Температура в стресс тестах не опсускается ниже 95 и почти постоянно достигает 100. В простое 40-50. Что с этим делать?

Hello I bought intel core i5-8400 BOX processor and it has very high temperatures. The temperature in stress tests is not measured below 95 and almost constantly reaches 100. In idle 40-50. What to do about it?

cooler: BOXed

1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, as has been mentioned elsewhere, support is offered in English only. We do not mind you posting in your native language, as this is where you are going to be most comfortable and we do have text translators available - but, posting pictures showing non-english text is a complete waste of time as we cannot translate it.

The "standard" cooling solution consists of the boxed processor heatsink-fan unit attached to the processor and a control device on the motherboard programmed to control the fan's speed based upon the temperature of the processor. If this cooling solution is not working properly, there is a very small list of things that can cause this:

1. The heatsink-fan unit is improperly attached to the processor and/or the thermal interface material (the heatsink paste) is improperly applied. This one is simple: remove the heatsink-fan unit, clean it and the CPU's surface and then apply new TIM. The heatsink-fan unit comes with TIM already on it, but lifting the unit after it has already had a good heat-up will mess up this TIM and require its replacement.
  2. The temperature of the air in the chassis is too high and the air cannot be used to extract the heat from the heatsink. Every system should also have fans that bring outside air into the chassis.
  3. The control of the fan, based upon available temperature inputs, is not correct. This is the most common issue I have seen of late. The fan speed control algorithms being used and/or the temperature setpoints are poorly chosen and the fans are not reacting fast enough to rising temperatures. At any temperature above your processor's Tcontrol temperature (which is usually in the low- to mid-80's), your processor fan should be running at full speed. If it isn't you need to adjust the algorithm/setpoints. This is typically done in BIOS Setup, though some board vendors (also) provide a runtime tool for this.

Hope this helps,

...S