Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

pc turning on and off repeatedly?

MHeld
Beginner

my pc turns on and off repeatedly.

i took off every piece of hardware one by one till nothing was left but the motherboard plugged into the psu, then replaced everything and the motherboard would turn on and off again.

needless to say the cpu (i7 6850k) was the culprit, im guessing it is bad?

i tried reflashing the bios, resetting the cmos, cleaning and reseating the cpu, new thermal paste, ect..

am i right in assuming the cpu is bad?

also i put in a warranty request as the cpu is still under warranty but still havent gotten a reply and the request is still showing as "new" and not even looked at.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for sharing your issue with the Intel Communities Team, MPH420. I will be more than glad to assist you.

I have sent you a private message to discuss your open case. Please verify your inbox.

Antony S
0 Kudos
MHeld
Beginner

i sent a reply to you and the email from support.

0 Kudos
MHeld
Beginner

what is the "retail price" for this cpu?

is it the $414 price i see on intel site?

also does my warranty for the original cpu continue for the replacement? (i believe i still have a little over a year left on the warranty)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

As far as I can see, you have offered absolutely zero evidence of the processor being responsible for this issue. You cannot conclude anything from the process that you have described. At the base level, you have processor, motherboard, memory and power supply in the picture. It could be any of these components.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
MHeld
Beginner

zero evidence?

you mean the evidence that i have tried every component including the cpu and the motherboard doesnt repeatedly turn on and off with all other components except the cpu?

that i have reapplied thermal paste, cleaned and reseated the cpu, reflashed the bios, cleared the cmos, ect...

motherboard runs, and memory turns on and runs on the pc, the power supply was tested with the "paper clip test" and it powers everything on the motherboard.

basically if i remove the cpu everything turns on fine and doesnt repeatedly turn off, if i put the cpu back in the motherboard turns on and off.

everything is currently reinstalled and connected to the psu atm and the pc turns on without turning off, with the exception of the cpu which is removed and in the original box it came in waiting to be sent back to intel.

its the cpu, i have been building pc's since i was a kid (37 btw), i know how to diagnose a pc.

btw.. intel has already allowed under the warranty to send a replacement.

just saying...

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, I am 60 and I have been doing this for longer than you have been alive (so there)!

Unless you have another processor and see that the problem does not occur while it is installed -- a test that you DID NOT say that you had done -- then you haven't proven anything at all.

...S

0 Kudos
MHeld
Beginner

so your saying 1 test out of several others mean i havent proven anything?

you dont make any sense and i dont have $600 cpu or $400-$500 motherboard laying around to test with.

how about you buy and send me those parts and i will test.

that being said why did you bother commenting in my thread, all you offered here is arguing, just push on i dont need your input.

intel has approved a warranty return wether YOU believe my situation or not.

bye, dont bother responding.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Your test isolated it no further that it being the motherboard, the processor and/or the power supply. Saying it is the processor is nothing but a guess. The only way to go any further is to test with a different motherboard, different processor, etc.

Getting approval for warranty return means absolutely nothing; Intel's return policy is pretty close to no-questions-asked (though they will look for thermal damage when it arrives).

Look, I am not trying to give you a hard time - and yes, I realize you may not have these things to isolate it any better. What I am trying to point out to you is that, when you get this replacement processor, there is a significant chance that the system will continue to do exactly what it is currently doing. Be prepared for that.

...S

0 Kudos
MHeld
Beginner

well i ordered a new psu and will be receiving it tomorrow and will test that, i highly doubt its the motherboard, so "guessing" would lead to cpu or psu and will be either the culprit or not.

i was considering replacing the psu anyway as i wanted the i series corsair psu that has the self on test button and the c link monitoring feature so i can see if it is running properly, if the psu installed currently was the culprit i will be sending it back for replacement under the warranty.

if its the cpu that will have to be returned but was frustrating because its a long wait for a pc i use daily.

you are correct i dont have other parts laying around to test with and even tho i spent over $6000 on my pc i dont really have the money to buy parts for "testing".

also buying a new motherboard will also lead to having to buy a new OS (for the key) as the current one was bought as a OEM disk so it is tied to the current motherboard, so in general i would have to buy an over $300 motherboard and almost $150 for a new OS key.

i highly doubt its the motherboard (yes im guessing), so im hopefully ruling that out.

in any case almost all of the stuff in my pc is still under warranty.

now i wasnt trying to argue with you but the way you worded your replies from the begining kind of made me think you were telling me i dont know what im talking about or am a child.

either way sorry for the argument.

btw i asked intel if they could hold my warranty request until i test the pc with a new psu.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Testing the PSU is a good next-step (glad Al talked you into that). After that, you might as well hypothesize that it's the processor and complete the RMA. I would definitely rather deal with Intel than with the motherboard vendors any day. If you are wrong, you are going to end up dealing with their support folks regardless - but will have wasted the time for the Intel RMA process beforehand.

BTW, I have seen this set of symptoms before. In that case, it was a bricked BIOS that caused it. The things you might try while you are waiting is clearing CMOS (i.e. disconnect A/C and remove the CR2032 battery from the motherboard for 15 minutes) and, if the board supports such a capability, try performing a BIOS recovery.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
MHeld
Beginner

as mentioned in the OP, i have already reset the cmos and reflashed the bios with the same version i currently had, before i made this thread and the warranty request.

i cleaned and reseated the cpu, applied thermal past aswell, it never went over 45c temp (i never overclocked, just used intel turbo boost), i removed all components down to the cpu and when removing the cpu the motherboard stayed on, i then repleced everything and connected everything to the motherboard except the cpu and the motherboard stayed on and everything was running (lighting up), then replaced the cpu and it turned on and off again.

that is why i assumed it was the cpu as everything else seemed to be working, needless to say i will be trying a new psu... but i have my doubts.

i am hoping it isnt the cpu so i dont have to wait almost half a month to get my pc running again.

this is the motherboard i currently have installed...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132822 ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

im also assuming its not the motherboard and sure dont want to have to replace that as like mentioned i dont want to have to pay another $300+ (motherboard) and $150 for a new OS key since i bought the OEM version of the OS (win 7 pro 64bit).

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You already re-flashed the BIOS? Now I am confused. This would indicate that the system will operate (at least for some period of time) before the off and on starts occurring. Perhaps you better describe exactly what is happening and when...

...S

0 Kudos
MHeld
Beginner

yes already re-flashed the bios before i made this thread and the warranty request for the cpu.

basically i hit the power button and everything turns on then turns right off, then on then off repeatedly and will keep going until i hold the power button down or turn off the psu.

also like mentioned before the only thing that "seems" to be make it do that is the cpu, the motherboard will stay on with everything else connected except the cpu.

sorry for the late reply was mowing the lawn and pulling down a dead tree.

side note: my new psu will be here tomorrow, i paid for "next day shipping" but some how it turned into 2 day shipping .

0 Kudos
MHeld
Beginner

new psu installed and pc is still turning on and off repeatedly, i remove the cpu and it stays on (everything lights up and stays lit and all fans running).

side note: the new psu from the same company (corsair) had a 14pin plus 10 pin - 24pin (HX1000i) and my other psu (RM 1000x) has a 18pin plus 10pin - 24pin, why was there a difference between the 2 psu's?

im sure they still distribute the same power but was wondering because i had to remove my red braided premium cables and use some non-braided black cable that came with the new psu which ruins my red theme -_-.

new psu vs old psu...

0 Kudos
MHeld
Beginner

just tried replacing the cmos battery aswell, no luck.

btw i was searching google and found this...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88292-Strix-x99-Gaming-QCODE-00-over-night-after-several-small-issues [Strix x99 Gaming] QCODE 00 over night after several small issues

im going to try leaving the cmos battery out for an hour or so, if it doesnt help im just going to have to rma the cpu as im "assuming" that its bad.

edit:

leaving the cmos out didnt change anything.

another thing i noticed is with the cpu out the cpu led on the mobo is red, with it in no led is lit up.

still turns on and off repeatedly with the cpu in and stays on with cpu removed.

guess ill just rma the cpu.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, any test that is done with the processor removed from the board is totally invalid and tells us nothing. In fact, none of my (5, 6, 7 or 8 Series) boards will power on at all with the processor removed (I am actually surprised that yours does; regardless, this test tells us nothing).

I have seen this set of symptoms (i.e. cyclically turning on and off) before and, in those cases, it was the BIOS that was responsible. Regardless, as I said before, going through a processor replacement is likely the easiest thing to try next. I would go ahead and proceed. Again, as I said before, I would not be surprised to see the same symptoms happening with the new processor installed. I hope I am wrong but I do not think I am. If I am right, you will be looking at a motherboard replacement next...

...S

0 Kudos