Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14397 Discussions

processor for game

idata
Employee

My son wants to install a game on my PC. The requirements for the game recommends (minimum) Intel Pentium 4 1.3 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1500+ (recommended) Dual Core processor such as Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 X2

I have a Celeron 2.00GHz. I told him I didn't think that would run the game. Am I correct?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

It probably will yes if teh minimum is Intel Pentium 4 1.3 GHz and you have a Celeron 2.00GHz it should

idata
Employee

Thanks bunches. Not sure about my graphics card, but I do have a previous version of the game on my pc and it displays just fine.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The game will probably run, but not with great FPS. On the other hand, it is not only the CPU that is a limiting factor in gaming. The graphics card also plays an important role in this situation.

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

What mother board are you using > that would depend on what's the best CPU ???

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hmmm ... I'm not really sure how to find that info ... ACPI Uniprocessor PC ... Is that it? It's an older Gateway PC.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Unfortunately that's not it, but because it is a Gateway Pc it's a rebranded motherboard anyway. But you can just try to run the game, and if it doesn't run very well you might want to think about upgrading the videocard or the CPU/RAM combination

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks. I'm hoping to get a new motherboard sometime next year, then I can have more RAM and a better graphics card.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Glenna , From what I'm reading in this Post , It's time for a new computer, Save your $ and wait for the Sandy Bridge computers that will come out next year. Or if your funds are realy limited , there will be some real bargins on the I-core 7 Stuff.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I know I need to get a new computer 'cos mine is a real dinosaur. I am on a fixed income being retired & disabled so not sure how much I can save up. A lot depends on the med insurance I will have after the 1st of the year,

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Glenna , I feel ya , I disabled ,on social security and a small pension, So for me Building a new computer is a big deal , You have to plain ahead and know what you want to spend , and what you are going to be doing with the machine you just built. I get alot of parts from Ebay ( but you have to be careful ) and know what you need , There is still alot of 775 stuff out there real cheap. The average machine I build I spend about $800.00, inc. the OS (windows ) Back to the build you can get Motherboards New that used to sale for $400.00 for $160.00. new. People sell their old stuff because they upgrade and don't have any use for the old stuff. and thats where you find the best deals, These Kids out there always want the newest and fastest. So they sell the old stuff. I'm 56 Widowed , and build computers to keep the OLD Brain Busy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yeah, I get a lot of stuff through Ebay. Also, my daughter's brother-in-law works for a computer parts supply company and he can get some stuff for me at wholesale. My son is going to get me a larger capacity hard drive (we put one in his computer a couple of years ago). Mine currently only has 37 GB, I have a 150 GB external but a lot of things won't work from it (especially the more involved games like World of Warcraft and NeverWinter Nights). I also create wallpaper, stationary, tags, and animated graphics, but most of that works from the external.

0 Kudos