i tried reformatting 3x and still get random freezes

removed hyperthreading

disabled cstates

still freezes randomly

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Intel has identified an issue that potentially affects the 6th Gen Intel® Core™ family of products. This issue only occurs under certain complex workload conditions, like those that may be encountered when running applications like Prime95. In those cases, the processor may hang or cause unpredictable system behavior. Intel has identified and released a fix and is working with external business partners to get the fix deployed through BIOS.

Additional information:

Allan.

0 Kudos
jLisa
Beginner

does it affect many users or rarely happens?

i asked others if they have problem with their skylake they said its working good and smooth

one is even using oc 6700k for 1 month with no problem

0 Kudos
MLiks
Beginner

I have exactly the same problem. Allways when browsing i get bluescreens or freezes. Some other aplications crashing too.

I tried other RAM, HDDs (SSD, M2) , i bought a new PSU, fresh install, internal/ external GPU, different BIOS Settings/ Versions, nothing helped.

My configuration:

Gigabyte X170z Gaming 3-EU , BIOS F5m

Geforce GTX 970

G.Skill RipJaws 4 DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3000

Gigabyte Support told me i have to check my CPU

0 Kudos
jLisa
Beginner

i dont get bluescreen it just freezes no HDD activity

when i boot it again it just said not shut down properly

its just random cant tell when

but whenever im using bluestacks it freezes after a while even if im not doing anything

0 Kudos
FHeik
New Contributor II

The so-called Prime95 bug (technically: a bug in the AVX (256-Bit Advanced Vector Extensions) instruction set on the Skylake microarchitecture platform), which Allan is referring to, is one of various possible causes for freezes users of the Skylake platform and its associated chipsets, namely the Z-170 chipset, have experienced and reported over the last few months (just do a Google search on the topic - you'll find plenty of threads in various forums where the issue is being discussed).

While the Prime95 bug has been addressed and - according to Intel - fixed with a Microcode patch (version 0x74 or later) that has to be installed either via a BIOS update, or alternatively on OS level at runtime via a respective driver (VMWare provides one on their website), this fix hasn't solved the freezing problems for many users, and little authoritative information is available about other possible causes for those freezes.

According to reports from affected users, it looks like the issue is independent of the OS platform; certain combinations of motherboard models / memory (RAM) brands/models / other connected hardware (PSU, SSD, USB devices, to name a few), and BIOS settings (specifically power saving related ones), seem to exhibit the problem. Motherboards with the Z-170 chipset seem to be particularly affected in this respect.

All things considered, it seems to me that it could be a hardware incompatibility and/or chipset issue, but of course that's just an assumption on my part.

To my knowledge, there's no official statement by Intel or any other hardware manufacturer so far concerning the issue beyond the one regarding the Prime95 bug.

So if you have ruled out the possibility of being affected by the Prime95 bug by having applied the Microcode patch, and are still getting freezes, all you can hope for at the moment is that Intel along with motherboard manufacturers will release some additional information about, and hopefully offer a fix for, this issue soon.

0 Kudos
jLisa
Beginner

i rma the proc and they said it was good

the only thing that i havent tested yet is the ram

the ram that im not using is not on the QVL

how do i check if ram module is same

i asked gigabyte support and it feels like asking a robot they just always link the qvl of mobo

are they same or diff?

CMK8GX4M2A2400C14

CMK16GX4M4A2400C14 (this one is on the qvl of the mobo)

thanks for answering

0 Kudos
FHeik
New Contributor II

Should be modules of the same type, the difference is the kit's size:

CMK8GX4M2A2400C14 = Vengeance® LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C14 Memory Kit

CMK16GX4M4A2400C14 = Vengeance® LPX 16 GB (4x4GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400 MHz C14 Memory Kit

Note, however, that in rare cases systems behave differently depending on the amount of available RAM slots on the motherboard being utilized.

For example, if the board has four, but only two are being utilized, you might have to install the modules in specific slots. Check the board's manual, it should contain respective instructions - if not, search the net or use a trial & error approach to find out.

0 Kudos
jLisa
Beginner

thanks for answering

0 Kudos
JSmit58
Beginner

I have the same proc and problem as you.

I tried to install the latest intel graphical drivers, and while it did not fully fix the freezing, it did make the system more stable.

My problem seemed to have been a bit extra problematic (after the new drivers, NOW I have the symptoms other have, before I had it worse), so it might help you out more then it did me.

Worth a shot until you wait for the RAM (don't forget to restart your PC, just ih case).

Of course, this applies Intel graphics (as I use the iGPU) so if you have anything else, try to see if they have new drivers.

0 Kudos
jLisa
Beginner

i thought mine was finally fixed when i changed some settings at bios

but it froze again while im watching at google chrome

i changed some settings at bios again, i hope freezing will be gone completely

0 Kudos
jLisa
Beginner

mine looks like stable now i

heres what i tried

switched bios from f6e(beta) to f5

disabling cstates doesnt fix the freezing

hyperthreading off doesnt work too

the last bios settings that changed is

VCCIO 0.960 to 1.00

ram voltage to 1.240

is it safe to leave VCCIO to 1?

thanks for answering

0 Kudos
jLisa
Beginner

im using the latest bios now F6

it is stable, i can use my computer without worrying now

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thank you for sharing this information. This will help other users.

Allan.

0 Kudos