Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

thermal throttling 50 to 105 fluctuation

Troscalos
Beginner

hello! i have run test with the lowest value on "core voltage" nothing happened ...i still have the jumping temperature every second...in games the fps dropping from 60 to 2...i don't know what to do anymore...this happened after i change the paste on processor and video card (i change 3 different pastes) same problems...lenovo g50-80 with I7-5500U 2.40 Ghz

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What are you using to adjust these voltages?  If you are using XTU, your processor is not supported.

Also, you should be concerned about undervolting:

https://securityboulevard.com/2019/12/plundervolt-a-new-intel-processor-undervolting-vulnerability/

Doc

0 Kudos
Troscalos
Beginner

so xtu is not working ...afterburner same like xtu...so, how do i fix it? throw it away and buy something else? i started to lose patience with this intel ...

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Back to your original problem, did you have this problem before you touched the TIM? If not, then you did a terrible job of replacing the TIM.

...S

0 Kudos
Troscalos
Beginner

i put size of a ricegrain in the middle, then i get over  and clamp down...the TIM automatically spreaded perfectly...i think it's from something else...but i can't figure that out

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You didn't answer. Was it doing this BEFORE you replaced the TIM? If not, then the replacement of the TIM is what caused the problem. Are you sure that the processor is staying equally clamped down from all four "corners"? Before applying the TIM, did you completely and thoroughly clean both the surface of the heatsink and the surface of the IHS?

[Aside: if you lifted the heatsink to check the TIM, then you need to replace the TIM again. Think of this as a rule: Once you unclamp, you have to replace.

...S

0 Kudos