Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

what board/processor can i use to build a windows xp machine?

sorti1
Beginner

can't use most of my old software because windows xp is as far as they will go. i would like to build a machine that will run windows xp. it will never connect to the internet.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You are on your own. No current hardware from Intel will run XP, internet or not. You can search other board manufacturers, but I think the story will be the same.

As far as using most of your old software, it must be 16-bit, as 32-bit software runs well on current platforms. I have heard this "requirement" many times, and I never believe it.

Also, you can look for older board on the used market. If you find an Intel board, do not expect to find any drivers on the Intel download site.

Why do you not build an XP Virtual Machine on Windows 10? I have one, and it works. However, I only did it for grins and giggles.

Doc

0 Kudos
sorti1
Beginner

thanks for your reply. i was pretty sure that was the answer i was going to get. i tried running the xp virtual machine, but everything didn't install so smoothly. i think it's the 16-bit installation. i'm running an xp laptop, but it's going die some day, so i was hoping to build a desktop. i think i waited too long to do it.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

If your xp software manufacturers have not release newer versions of their software, abandon them. If, on a 64-bit windows 10, you install 32-bit XP, you should have no problems. I have it, and all of the software I have played with works.

Time to let go of the past, and set into the current. If you have not tried an XP virtual machine on W10 lately, you might be surprised. Better yet, get new software and not worry about XP at all.

Doc

0 Kudos
sorti1
Beginner

i'll take another look at the vm. it's been a couple of years since i tried it. again, thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

If you do build an XP vm, be prepared for the 5000 updates to SP3. And, you may have to go from XP to SP1 to SP2 to SP3 and then to the 5000 updates (if they are still available). I have heard of two guys on the web who have built an "SP4" roll-up. If you try it, use at your own risk. Browser-wise, forget IE, and use something else, like FF (and even that has limitations).

However, all this does is prolong the pain. Get newer software, and the pain goes away.

Doc

0 Kudos
sorti1
Beginner

lol...i run xp sp3 on a laptop with my old software. everything runs fine, and i have no issues. the paranoia sets in because the single fan on the processor quit. i was able to fix it, but it occurs to me that this machine will eventually quit. all the software i'm running on that machine has no replacement. i have a file cabinet on it that has all my archived documents. lots of games, some photo software, etc. but you're right, letting go is the best route to go, painful as it may be.

0 Kudos