Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

why doesn't my processor fit?

charr22
Beginner

i have the Intel - Core i9-9900K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop Processor

and i bought a ASUS - ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING (Socket LGA1151) USB 3.1 Gen 1 Intel to go with it. when it came to putting these parts together it simply would not fit the plastic slots on the cpu were to low and stopped the cpu from going in so the top half just stuck out,upon doing some research on the cpu i found that the back part of the cpu was even different from other I9900k cpu and im not sure if this is a defect or wrong processor but the pins and lines in the middle were different and im not sure what to make of it can someone help identify this? i did all the research to make sure they were compatible but the cpu wont fit ,and this cpu looks a lot different from the other I9900k when comparing,also i bought this processor from best buy.image0 (3).jpgimage0.jpgimage0 (1).jpg

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Take the processor back to the retailer and ask for a replacement.

Doc

0 Kudos
charr22
Beginner

the refund/return service expired I didn’t have time to put together the parts until today which is way past it’s expiration date :(

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Well, either the board is defective, or the processor is defective. I doubt the processor to be at fault. Is the board new?

You might try a warranty request on the processor. If the replacement processor does not fit, well, there you have the answer.

https://supporttickets.intel.com/warrantyinfo?lang=en-US

Doc

0 Kudos
charr22
Beginner

yes The mother board is brand new, I’m not sure which is defective I think I’m leaning toward the cpu because it looks so different compared to other i9,the pins on the one I have are not similar , and the actual assigned gaps on the cpu are lower when looking at it compared to others, I will try the ticket out and see how it goes. Thanks

0 Kudos