Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

why is my CPU underclocking at 3.59ghz i7 8700k

jmort11
Beginner

currently, my CPU is underclocking at 3.59ghz and its set to 3.70ghz which is its base clock it was the same with my other CPU i5 9600k it was underclocking at the same 3.59ghz but i cant download diagnostic tool because i get it then about to press install then it just closes i try again and it does the same thing help me pls

MOTHERBORAD : Z370A PRO

RAM: 16gb 2666mhz

GPU: 1050 ti

PSU: 800W CORSAIR RM SERIES

0 Kudos
12 Replies
ZWang106
Beginner

@jmort11​  Are there any replacement hardwares available? If I were you, I would look for another board/psu to replace the old ones, then check if the cpus are still underlocking.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello jmort11,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer.

Please run the following tools and attach the reports generated

1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)

• Intel® SSU Download link
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".

2. Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)

• Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) download link.
  • Download the tool, once it is downloaded go ahead and install the software on your computer, the system will ask to be restarted, after that you can run the software.
  • When you open the software select Stress Test, check the box ''CPU Stress Test'' you can do it for 5 minutes then take screenshots showing the Max core frequency, CPU utilization, etc (all the screen) and attach them.

3. Questions:

• Is the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology enabled from the BIOS?
  • Is the Intel® SpeedStep® Technology enabled from the BIOS?

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello jmort11,

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let me know if you need more assistance. 

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
jmort11
Beginner

ok so i havent done them things in bios yet but to get u started heres the stress test start middle end and it was a pass and the Screenshot (37).pngScreenshot (36).pngScreenshot (35).png

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello jmort11,

Thank you for the updates.

I will be waiting for your response once you check the BIOS settings, in the meantime you can try the following steps:

• Load BIOS default settings.
  • Check power management on BIOS and make sure you have max performance features enabled some motherboards have some features in order to save power and it can make the components work at low performance.
  • Make sure all the power cables are properly connected.
  • Once you get into the BIOS if Intel® Turbo Boost Technology is disabled, enable it and if the Intel SpeedStep® Technology is enabled, disable it.
  • Check if the Processor power management on the Operating system is in max performance.

Question:

Did the same issue happen on the same motherboard with the 2 processors Intel® Core™ i7-8700K and Intel® Core™ i5-9600K?

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
jmort11
Beginner

yes they both happened on the same board which i think it is

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello  jmort11,

Thank you for your answer.

• Were you able to check the settings on the BIOS?
  • Is there a way you can test the processors on a different motherboard to see if you get the same results?

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
jmort11
Beginner

i checked the bios the voltage is as high as it can got to which is CPU core voltage is set to 1.359v and the turbo boost is disabled but i couldn't seem to find the speedstep technology, no i do not have a motherboard to test it on and nobody i know does have spare one.

Get back to me as soon as u can

Thanks,

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello jmort11,

Thank you for your answer.

Based on screenshots you sent us about the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) it seems the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology is enabled.

Upon checking your answer the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology is disabled, can you please enable it from the BIOS? 

Can you please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool?

Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool Download link

• Once installed, the Intel® PDT starts testing the processor using the default configuration. Two windows might appear to show the test is in progress.
  • When the Intel® PDT completes, the testing status will display either a PASS or FAIL.
  • You can open or save the test results file by clicking on file > view results file, file, then, save as to any location you specify.
  • Please attach the result to the thread.

Regards, 

Adrian M. 

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello jmort11,

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let me know if you need more assistance. 

Regards, 

Adrian M. 

0 Kudos
jmort11
Beginner

i cant seem to download i click on it it downloads then half way through the download disappears and nothing happens or opens what is going on?

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello jmort11,

Thank you for your response.

I understand the download is not working for you, I will send you a message in order to assist you with this issue.

Regards,

Adrian M. 

0 Kudos