Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

windows 11 compatibility

titan19493
Beginner

i have a dell IPSKL-VM Motherboard. Processor. 6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz) with z170  chipset.  the 17-6700 is not compatible windows 11.  with the dell ipskl-mv board,  which intel cpu can i get that is compatible with the board so i dont have to buy a whole board cpu memory block

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There are no (zip, zilch, zero, nada) processors that you could install in this motherboard that would allow it to be formally supported by Windows 11. You need an 8th gen processor but you have a motherboard that supports only 6th gen processors.

Now, it is certainly possible to install and run Windows 11 on older, unsupported PCs, though it may take some hacking (for example, see this article: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-install-windows-11-on-older-unsupported-pcs). Microsoft has stated that they will not support older PCs and they would not receive security and other updates. So far, this has not been the case; Microsoft has let updates flow to all machines. Things may stay this way or not; we'll see.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
jason76
Beginner

Scott, how about i7-7700T.  Looking up the spec on my processor, I show the specs as being adequate.  What are your thoughts?  My PC health check says this is the only reason why my computer won't run win 11.

0 Kudos
titan19493
Beginner

yes i am aware that my computer is not campatable with my gen 6  what i am looking for is a mother board with gen 9 capatability that will fit in my dell box with a dell ipskl-mv mother board  deminsion wise.  i am aware of dells stingy desighs which is why i will probably never buy a new dell computer.  i will just build another new one from scratch.so can anyone tell me the minimum board and cpu requirememts

0 Kudos
titan19493
Beginner

thanks for your reply  i figured it was this way  and dell boards r kind of propritary ..  does anyoe know of a board that is windoes 11 compatible and fits in my case thans again.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It's still not supported. No 7th gen processors are supported. They simply do not have the security features that MS is taking advantage of to provide the best levels of protection. Of course, Windows 10 didn't take advantage of these security features, regardless. You could take the chance that MS will not follow through on their promise (threat?) to stop providing updates to unsupported systems...

It's up to you...

...S

0 Kudos