scott14
Novice

why is my core i7 processor not compatible with windows 11

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Because Microsoft says so.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

If you have a complaint, contact Microsoft.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
marry001
Beginner

windows 11 has specific system requirements that need to be met in order for the operating system to be installed and run smoothly one of the requirements is compatible processor. while most morden processor should meet  the requirements, there are some older processors that may not be officially supported.

Without specific information about your Core i7 processor model, it is difficult to provide a definitive answer. However, it's possible that your particular Core i7 processor may not meet the specific requirements set by Microsoft for Windows 11 compatibility.

Microsoft has published a list of supported processors for Windows 11, and if your processor is not included in that list, it may not be officially supported. It's worth noting that these requirements are subject to change, and Microsoft may update the list of supported processors in the future.

If you are unsure about your processor's compatibility with Windows 11, I recommend checking Microsoft's official documentation or reaching out to Microsoft support for further assistance.

scott14
Novice
Thankyou for your reply, my processor is a gen 6 so it is too old for Windows 11, thanks again
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Just for clarity,

• 'Subject to change' does not and will not include making any older processors compatible. Microsoft supports only those processors that support Virtualization-Based Security (VBS). In general, it is 8th gen and newer processors that support this feature (there are two 7th gen X-Series processors, the i7-7800X and i7-7820X, that also support this feature).
  • Now, it is certainly possible to install and run Windows 11 on unsupported processors - and there are plenty of sites out there that will show you how to do this. You need to understand that Microsoft does not want to support these processors and are attempting to make their use unpalatable. This includes putting 'Unsupported' watermarks on the desktop and in the Edge browser, etc.

Hope this helps,

...S

scott14
Novice
Thankyou for your reply, yes this does help me understand why my processor is not compatible as I believe it being a gen 6 it is too old, thanks again
0 Kudos