Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

would like to check up on my cpu

idata
Employee

Hello. I was wondering if someone could suggest a program to give me useful info on my cpu (e.g. temps etc.) and maybe suggest something for testing it. I guess that would be a stress test, just to see if it's cool enough and is not producing any errors. I've had a cpu burn up on me years ago and just want to be sure and keep a preemptive eye on thing with this one.

I'm running a q6600 on a pk5-e mobo with thermaltake 600w 80+ power. I'm currently using an ati hd2600pro 512 card while my gts250 1gig is being rma'd. I'm using win xp-pro 32bit, sp3 with all updates. Nothing, absolutely nothing is oc'd. Only thing oc'd is gts card (once I get it back) which came oc'd by BFG.

I'd appreciate any advice as I'd like to keep a watchful eye over my modest rig.

2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello there,

Usually it is always best to use the Motherboard Manufacturer Utility tool to do these things. But since you are using an Asus Motherboard, i dont know if they have one, you will need to check with them.

Otherwise there are some third party software like:

Everest

Core Temp

CPU Z

Stress Tool:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Note: Third Party Software may behave differently.

Intel Desktop Board has its own monitoring tool called Intel Desktop Utilities and for extreme boards there Intel Desktop Control Centre.

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan.

idata
Employee

You make it seem so obvious. Yes, my Asus board came with a cd with untilities on it and one being to monitor cpu, board temps and fan speeds. I also tried realtemp. Oddly enough, the Asus utility pegged me at 23C idle (room temp. 24C) and realtemp at a more realistic 35C idle (55C running photoshop filters at full blast with cpu at 100% for 15 seconds).

I looked at cpubenchmark and like what I read there and will give it a try.

Thanks for the advice.