Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

xeon e2126g frequency

AMett1
Beginner

hello the xeon e2126g is adjusting the frequency automatically according to the needs of the system or I must adjust it manually when I want to?

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yes, it is completely automatic.The only way this doesn't happen is if you disable the Turbo Boost feature in the BIOS.

Intel Turbo Boost is not supported by all processors. You will need to look at the feature summaries (on ark.intel.com) to see if it is supported by a particular processor. I believe that, in general, Atom, Celeron and Pentium processors do not support Intel Turbo Boost.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SergioS_Intel

Hello AMett1,

The frequencies are automatically adjusted by the system, there is no need to manually adjust them. The frequency of a microprocessor can be automatically adjusted "on the fly" depending on the actual needs, to conserve power and reduce the amount of heat generated by the chip. Dynamic frequency scaling helps preserve battery on mobile devices and decrease cooling cost and noise on quiet computing settings.

I hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

As you found, you create an absolute mess when you reply to the email notifications that you receive. Please avoid doing that. While we can't do it for you, you can certainly delete that response yourself; Click on the down-arrow in the top-right corner of the post and select delete.

Technically speaking, while automatic frequency adjustment does, at least in the case of Intel Turbo Boost, implement a form of overclocking, it is a carefully managed process that ensures that the processor is not overheated or otherwise unduly stressed during the process. User-level overclocking, on the other hand, will circumvent many of the protections built into the processor and can physically damage and/or shorten the lifetime of the processor.

...S

0 Kudos
AMett1
Beginner

Hello and sorry about that, i deleted it. Now concerning my question i meant the manufacturers cpu range frequency. For example my xeon e2126g works from 3.3 to 4.5 so within this range the system adjusts automatically the speed according to its needs(according to the first answer that i got) but this is not overcklocking correct?

Thanks​

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, that's Intel Turbo Boost ​and, as I said, it is technically overclocking when it takes your processor above 3.3GHz. The difference is that this is implemented in the processor, by the processor, using the available thermal headroom.

...S

0 Kudos
AMett1
Beginner

But this is done automatically right? I don't need to any settings..

And if so, this is applied to the Pentium series also?

Thanks

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yes, it is completely automatic.The only way this doesn't happen is if you disable the Turbo Boost feature in the BIOS.

Intel Turbo Boost is not supported by all processors. You will need to look at the feature summaries (on ark.intel.com) to see if it is supported by a particular processor. I believe that, in general, Atom, Celeron and Pentium processors do not support Intel Turbo Boost.

...S

0 Kudos