Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

xtu wont show overclock for x9100

tgior
Beginner

The core 2 x9100 will oc in the bios but the xtu does not show these options and is frustrating as if this chipset is now allowed to be installed then there should be full support. Inspiron 1545 custom water cooler loop with external 1050ti 4gb 8gb ddr2 1366 oc

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, are you sure you have the model right? According to the Dell site, the Inspiron 1545 is a laptop and there is no version that supports the Core 2 Extreme x9100.

If you are talking about one of the latest releases of the Intel Chipset Software package (i.e. version 10.x), then yes, it's true, your chipset is NOT supported. You need a version 9.x package (or older) to support a PC this old (almost 10 years). As for XTU support, according to its release notes, the current versions only supports back to the SandyBridge (2nd gen Core) processor generation. Your Penryn processor is two generations older than that. I am surprised that XTU even installed. Regardless, it won't do anything with a processor this old.

Bottom line, your system is too old to be supported. Your graphics card (which I am amazed is even working in this system) has a lot more compute power than your processor. Time to get something newer. There's 10 years worth of improvements just waiting for you to take advantage of them...

...S

0 Kudos
tgior
Beginner

Yes this is an inspiron 1545, pga478 socket p, GM45, GMA4500MHD graphics, 4S6MZJ1 is my service tag, xtu is installed and reads everything correctly, i can control the igpu which is odd but the cpu, X9100 penryn does not appear weather i have my modded bios chip used or stock with A07

0 Kudos
tgior
Beginner

P.S. im using the laptop as it works great, windows 10 is very snappy with my samsung sshd, the water block i use with pump is only about .47lbs and has a 3d printed bottom to replace the stock plate that houses the ram and cpu...

0 Kudos
tgior
Beginner

What version of xtu would work for this PC any how to get full OC potential regardless of what intel or dell says

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, none. XTU was first implemented to showcase the wealth of overclocking capabilities offered by the SandyBridge processors. No support for older processors was provided. Support for newer processors was added over time.

Sorry, you'll just have to use the capabilities you say you have in the BIOS.

...S

0 Kudos
tgior
Beginner

thank you for letting me know

0 Kudos