Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

z420 fans very loud, and machine very slow

PanMan
Beginner
So, I have had more problems with my machine in the past, but they have been solved without me doing anything, but now it does not seem to go away. When I power on my PC, my fans start to spin normally, and than start to get faster gradually until they are at almost full speed. When my machine finally boots up, it is incredibly slow, compared to how it is normally. I popped open my case, and the cpu was blazing hot, but since I have a Xeon E1650 I was not surprised. Why does the cpu overheat? Or why is my machine so slow if the cpu is not overheating? I cannot use any app on my PC because my station is almost unusably slow, and crashes when I open an app.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, your processor is indeed overheating. The slowing occurs when the processor reaches its Tjmax temperature and throttling is invoked. Your cooling system is one of the following:

1. Inadequate.
  2. Improperly mounted.
  3. Improperly configured.
  4. Improperly operating.

Hope this gives you ideas on what to look at.

...S

0 Kudos
Pet392
Beginner
Yes i have ben having an issue since last week computer slows down and apps crashing for no reason. To the extent of not being able to scroll in web pages.

I went in the bios and changed idle fan speed to put it higher the problem seems to be ok

Core temperature is now at 43
before that it used to be at 55
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

A Type 3 problem. Glad you worked it out.

...S

0 Kudos