Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

1 Port Rom MegaFunc, Only z output, with MIF. Max 10DA. DE10-Lite board

JKASingh
Novice

I am using a small 1 port ROM, size 8bits by 64 locations. (Quartus 20.1 Lite)

When I simulate it using ModelSim Altera, providing Clocks and Address, I am only getting Z output.

I have the MIF file in the same directory where the RTL code is. 

I am suspecting, as if ModelSim-Altera is not including the MIF file, when running the Sim. How to check and fix this?

What could be possibly wrong?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JKASingh
Novice

Is it true, that the Lite version won't support ROM IP, and only the Licensed version do it?

I never got any warning or error related to that though in Quartus. 

What about just running a Sim with ModelSim Altera, using the files which Quartus generated for the ROM and the MIF file. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
JKASingh
Novice

Tried with a 'Standard' version and a licensed ModelSim-Altera version. Same results. 

Showing picture below.  Bottom three traces are from the ROM instance. 

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

From the KDB below, it seems that Modelsim tool does not support the memory initialization file (.mif) format and requires you to generate a .hex file. Could you try the solution below and see if it helps? 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd10062000_9191.html

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. Please post a response in the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos
JKASingh
Novice

Hello,

I was able to use the MIF file. 

However I used a VHDL model of the ROM, instead of the Verilog, as I could not get it working as mentioned. 

The link you provided, is about converting MIF to HEX. And I was still able to use the MIF file.

So the problem is still there, when I use the Verilog model, but not when I switched to the VHDL model of ROM. 

I have been using the ModelSim Altera version, which comes with Quartus 20.1 Lite edition. 

Thank you,

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Could you help to share a simplified design files with the issue duplicable so I could investigate further? 

Please help to provide briefly the steps to reproduce the issue. It helps to duplicate the issue faster.

0 Kudos
JKASingh
Novice

Hello,

I have attached the files. Please let me know of your findings.

(I have renamed the MIF file to TXT extention, as your website doesn't allow to attach it. So please change and save it with MIF extention, on your side.)

- Top file 'OnePortRom.v'            - Test Bench 'OnePortRom_tb.v'         - Rom model verilog 'RomMem.v' and 'RomMem_bb.v'    - Rom model VHDL model 'RomMemVhdl.vhd'     - MIF file 'RomInit.mif'

Thank you,

Jaspal 

0 Kudos
JKASingh
Novice

Hello,

Is there an update from your side about this issue?

Were you able to simulate and recreate the problem, on your end?

Thank you

0 Kudos
JKASingh
Novice

Hello Intel Support,

It's been over a month now since I provided the files? 

Do you have any update?

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Sorry for the delay in response. I forget to re-open the case thus it was closed, till a reply notification come in.

Try to run using the Nativelink feature in the Quartus Lite/Standard. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/design-examples/design-software/simulation/modelsim/exm-ncsim-native-link.html

1. Create a Project with the OnePortRom.v and RomMemVhdl.vhd file 
2. Follow the steps 6-8
3. Tools > Run Simulation Tool> RTL simulation
4. Modelsim will auto simulate the result for you. 

Initially only clk_tb, out_tb and a signal waveform are shown. You will need to manually add the other signals that you are interest to check. 

ShyanYewT_Intel_0-1616602112436.png

0 Kudos