Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

3.3V supply voltage for PLL in Cyclone series FPGAs?

danupp
Beginner

Hi, for the Cyclone series FPGAs the PLL:s require 2.5V according to datasheets. And it says that this voltage shall be present even if they are not used.

In my application I don't use the PLLs and I have a 3.3V supply for I/Os which I have tried feeding also to the PLL supply pins. I do not really want to create a 2.5V supply only for functions that I don't use.

It seems to work for me, but do you anticipate any problems supplying 3.3V here? Since I do not use the PLL functions I don't care if they are out of spec, I just want everything else to work as intended.

By the way, I am using a semi-discrete PLL instead for less noise. See https://sm6vfz.wordpress.com/2020/08/21/pll-frequency-synthesis-with-programmeable-logic/ .

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Which family device are you using? Please make sure that the applied voltage does not exceed the Absolute Maximum Rating specified in the datasheet. Check values of VCCA / VCCA_PLL / VCCD_PLL / VCCA_FPLL etc. related to your device.

Regards

0 Kudos
danupp
Beginner

Ok, thanks,  I am mainly looking at Cyclone IV and Cyclone 10LP. The datasheets for both these series say 2.5V is recommended for VCCA but 3.75V is the absolute maximum. No problem with 3.3V then?

0 Kudos
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Yes, it should be fine to use 3.3V as it is within Absolute Max and the feature is functionally unused.

This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos