Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers

A++ compiler

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello, everyone. 

I am looking for the way to construct FPGA system in C/C++ language ( or some other software language anyway ).  

always I search google, I reach to Altera's page "Spectra-Q". 

the page says that Spectra-Q has High Level Synthesis called "A++ compiler". 

also the page says that A++ compiler generate FPGA IP-Core from C/C++. 

now I can not find information. 

how to install Spectra-Q. 

how to use A++. 

Spectra-Q is supposed to be attached in QuartusPrime 15.x or above. 

I installed QuartusPrime 16.1 Pro Edition.( not licensed ) 

I can't find those. 

can anybody help me?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm looking for the a++ compiler too. Even the init_hls.sh in the "16.1/hls" folder expect this a++ binary. I searched for it, but there is not such binary in the whole quartus installation.  

And there is no much documentation about it (Or I'm searching wrong). I found this link: https://www.altera.com/products/design-software/high-level-design/intel-hls-compiler/overview.html.  

I believe the a++ compiler is only available as beta version right now. 

Currently I try to evaluate HLS tools or let's say the possibilities doing High Level design. And I must say that the Vivado HLS looks very good (good tutorial, documentation and it works). I hope that Intel/Altera could do better. Maybe some people in this forum know more.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello guys ! any progress regarding HLS compiler ? I am looking for the same compiler....

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey guys, while you are waiting for beta access you can try LegUp. LegUp is a high-level synthesis tool like Vivado HLS but we support Altera FPGAs. (Disclosure: I work on LegUp) 

You can download LegUp at: www.legupcomputing.com 

We also have some unique features like using parallel threads in software to express spatial hardware parallelism.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hey guys, while you are waiting for beta access you can try LegUp. LegUp is a high-level synthesis tool like Vivado HLS but we support Altera FPGAs. (Disclosure: I work on LegUp) 

You can download LegUp at: www.legupcomputing.com 

We also have some unique features like using parallel thread about it here (https://www.danielleaubert.com/phen24-review-results/) in software to express spatial hardware parallelism. 

--- Quote End ---  

Is legup any good guys?
0 Kudos
MHest
Beginner

--- Quote Start --- Hey guys, while you are waiting for beta access you can try LegUp. LegUp is a high-level synthesis tool like Vivado HLS but we support Altera FPGAs. (Disclosure: I work on LegUp) You can download LegUp at: We also have some phenq reviews here https://theskinnyvibes.com/phenq-reviews-and-results/ phenq is unique features like using parallel thread about it here in software to express spatial hardware parallelism. --- Quote End --- 

Thanks for recommending LegUp. It serves my purpose and is quite easy as well,

0 Kudos
JWhit13
Beginner
Hey guys, while you are waiting for beta access you can try LegUp. LegUp is a high-level synthesis tool like Vivado HLS but we support Altera FPGAs. (Disclosure: I work on LegUp)   You can download LegUp at: www.legupcomputing.com   We also have some unique features like using parallel threads in software to express spatial hardware parallelism.

I would like to vouch for Legup. It is a great piece of software.

0 Kudos
MHous3
Beginner
Hey guys, while you are waiting for beta access you can try LegUp. LegUp is a high-level synthesis tool like Vivado HLS but we support Altera FPGAs. (Disclosure: I work on LegUp) You can download LegUp at: www.legupcomputing.com We also have some unique features like using parallel threads in software to express spatial hardware parallelism.   I would like to vouch for Legup. It is a great piece of software.

Never heard about Legup. Will give it a try and provide my review here.

0 Kudos