Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

ARRIA 10 Bidir GPIO Synthesis error

empissas
Beginner

Hi ,

I  try to instantiate a tri-state buffer using the GPIO IP CORE . Although  i assume that i had made all the connection correct the  synthesis stage outcomes this error

Error(17044): Illegal connection on I/O input buffer primitive i2c_test|gpio_0|core|i_loop[0].altera_gpio_bit_i|input_buffer.ibuf. Source I/O pin i2c_test|pad_io[0] drives out to destinations other than the specified I/O input buffer primitive. Modify your design so the specified source I/O pin drives only the specified I/O input buffer primitive.

The connections that i had in the top level design are the following

inout wire tri_buff;

i2c_bidir u0 (
.dout (),
.din (), 
.oe (),
.pad_io ( tri_buff) 
);

the tri_buff signal does not drive any other destination and i cannot understand why the above error occurs

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Strange.  Anything unusual about the pin you selected for this in Pin Planner?

0 Kudos
empissas
Beginner

No, nothing unusual.  I assume that the pad_io  signal has to be assigned an inout top level pin in order to connect to the pad . Is that right?

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I believe so.  Does it show as bidirectional in the Pin Planner All Pins list?

Oh, since you can't synthesize, you might not even be able to do that.  Hmm.

Is the first stage of synthesis, Analysis & Elaboration, successful if you run it on its own?

0 Kudos
empissas
Beginner

I finally found why the synthesis stage had this error.

Thanks

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

So for future reference, what was the problem?

0 Kudos
empissas
Beginner

I had also  set this bidir pin as signal in the signal tap logic analyzer. This way, the synthesis stage assumed  that is was driving more than one destinations.

0 Kudos