Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20639 Discussions

Access FPGA component from NIOS without QSYS ?

RShal4
New Contributor I

Hello,

Is it possible to access some FPGA component without importing the component IP into qsys ? Does it mean it does not have any base address in system.h ?

If it is possible (without qsys), than what is actually the added benefit of using this component in qsys ?

Thank you,

ranran

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

As I mentioned, Platform Designer is required to use Nios.

#iwork4intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi ranran,

Is it possible to access some FPGA component without importing the component IP into qsys ?

Yes, It's possible to access FPGA component without importing the component in qsys.

example: we can control LEDs & Switches using simple HDL without component or Qsys.

Meaning we can design our own controller(IP) to access FPGA component.

Does it mean it does not have any base address in system.h ?

Yes, If custom component/controller does not required software control/avalone interface.

No, If custom component/controller required avalone interface which should be interfaced with Nios II, So that we can controller the component using software .

If it is possible (without qsys), than what is actually the added benefit of using this component in qsys ?

In the above example LED & Switches are controlled using HDL code. Handshaking and Communication between components are not necessary.

Imagine a design with Handshaking and Communication between many components which can be controlled easily using software with with component in qsys

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
RShal4
New Contributor I

Hello Anand,

Thank you very much.

I think I did not explain myself good enough.

I mean controlling the leds from NIOS application without using qsys. Is it possible ?

If so, are you familiar with any tutorial/example (even a link in youtube ) ? I did not find any.

Thank you very much,

ranran

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

No. Qsys (now called Platform Designer) is required to use the Nios IP. However, you don't have to bring your IP into Platform Designer (though it is rather convenient). You can export interfaces out of the tool and connect them to your IP in your main Quartus project instead.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
RShal4
New Contributor I

Hi,

Thank you very much.

You said "However, you don't have to bring your IP into Platform Designer (though it is rather convenient). You can export interfaces out of the tool and connect them to your IP in your main Quartus project instead."

Can you please link to any example/tutorial/demonstration for using this method ? I haven't find how to do it.

Thank you!

Ran

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Exporting interfaces out of a system is a basic function of the tool. Just double-click in the Export column and name the interface. You can see how to connect the exported interface to the rest of your Quartus project by looking at the instantiation template, found in the Platform Designer Generate menu. See this online training and its follow-ons for details:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/training/course/oqsyscreate.html

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​Hi @RShal4​ ,

1. You can Integrate the Qsys System into the Quartus II Project
  2. Your custom component to Qsys system

Refer below link

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an717.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6rhbVABlo8

ftp://ftp.intel.com/Pub/fpgaup/pub/Intel_Material/16.1/Tutorials/Making_Qsys_Components.pdf

To have better understanding go through course like Using the Nios II Processor: Hardware Development,Using the Nios II Processor: Software Development & Using the Nios II Processor: Custom Components and Instructions

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/training/catalog.html

Please read my first post which answers all the your questions.

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
RShal4
New Contributor I

Thank you Anand,

I am familiar with that method, but it actually using qsys with some external component.

But I actually ment: doing it without using qsys at all with that component.

Is it possible ?

Thank you,

ranran

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

As I mentioned, Platform Designer is required to use Nios.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos