Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Altera CPLD Max V (P/N: 5M40ZE64C4)

user153746
Beginner

I am supplying this CPLD from two separate power rails (A 1.8V rail and a 3.3V rail). The CPLD uses 1.8V for VCCINT and VCCI02, and uses the 3.3V rail for VCCI01. The 1.8V rail starts up in about 1ms, and the 3.3V rail starts up in about 20-40ms. Will the component have issues since the two supplies are not coming up to voltage simultaneously?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi Liam,

Thank you for reaching out to Intel FPGA Community.

To answer your question, MAX V devices allow the device core and I/O blocks to be powered-up with separate supply voltages. . The VCCINT pins supply power to the device core and the VCCIO pins 

supply power to the device I/O buffers.

When VCCIO and VCCINT are supplied from different power sources to a MAX V 

device, a delay between VCCIO and VCCINT may occur. Normal operation does not 

occur until both power supplies are in their recommended operating range. When 

VCCINT is powered-up, the IEEE Std. 1149.1 JTAG circuitry is active. TMS and TCK are 

connected to VCCIO and if VCCIO is not powered-up, the JTAG signals are left floating. 

Thus, any transition on TCK can cause the state machine to transition to an unknown 

JTAG state, leading to incorrect operation when VCCIO is finally powered-up. To 

disable the JTAG state during the power-up sequence, pull TCK low to ensure that an 

inadvertent rising edge does not occur on TCK.

0 Kudos
user153746
Beginner

Thank you for the help! One more question: The 1.8V rail (feeding VCCINT) comes up to voltage in about 300-900 microseconds. The data sheet for the CPLD does not state any voltage rise-time requirements. Is the given range ok for proper operation of the CPLD?

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi Liam,

In the MAX V Device Handbook, under Power-Up Timing topic (page 3-9), it stated that the amount of time required from minimum value VCCINT (1.55V) to enters user mode is 200 microseconds for 5M40ZE64C4. You can refer to Figure 4-5 (page 4-6) for better understanding of power up characteristics of this device.

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos