Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20867 Discussions

Altera EP4CE22F17C8N Can't Recognize silicon ID for device 1

pdi_eng
New Contributor I

We have build a lot of these assemblies and this board is a one off problem board. When I try to program this device in Quartus, I get the error "Can't Recognize silicon ID for device 1".

I have checked the crystal and swapped out the EEPROM.

We had this part replaced by a company that x-rays and specializes in BGA rework. I want to be able to verify everything else works before replacing this Cyclone again.

What would cause this error?

What is the minimum surrounding circuitry needed to program and recognize silicon ID?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Fakhrul
Employee

Hi pdi_eng,

May I know the error code number, please? Or perhaps you could provide the error screenshot. What version of Quartus you're using now? Try use a later/latest version. In the meantime, you may take a look at a few KDB below which may be applicable to this issue:

Error (209025): Can’t recognize silicon ID for device 1

Error: Can't recognize silicon ID for device 1

Error(19099): Can't recognize silicon ID for device 1

Regards,

Fakhrul

0 Kudos
pdi_eng
New Contributor I

HI Fakhrul,

Here is how my programming goes:

Info (209060): Started Programmer operation at Tue Apr 18 09:06:50 2023
Info (209016): Configuring device index 1
Info (209017): Device 1 contains JTAG ID code 0x020F30DD
Info (209007): Configuration succeeded -- 1 device(s) configured
Error (209025): Can't recognize silicon ID for device 1
Error (209012): Operation failed
Info (209061): Ended Programmer operation at Tue Apr 18 09:07:07 2023

Our customer provided us with a PC to do the programming and test, so I don't have a say in updating to the latest Quartus, but I am using Quartus II version 12.1 build 177.

This is what my programming environment looks like:

pdi_eng_0-1681840008017.png

The KDB "Error: Can't recognize silicon ID for device 1" looks like my same error but I don't have a separate connector to program the EPCS device directly.

Is the only other possible problem a noisy TCK?

0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

Hi pdi_eng,

It might be necessary for you to refer to page 219 for the guidelines on Programming Serial Configuration Devices In-System with the JTAG Interface and carefully verify that all the settings have been completed.

Here are some forum cases which may be applicable for you to look into:

Q13.1 (Error (209025): Can't recognize silicon ID for device 1) but Q11.1 works fine

Error (209025): Can't recognize silicon ID for device 1; Cyclone IV Issue

"Can't recognize silicon ID for device 1" while programming FLASH

Can't load .jic file to EPCQ device.

Regards,

Fakhrul

0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

Please be advised that due to the absence of a response from you regarding the previous notification we provided, we will be transitioning this thread to community support. If you have any new questions or concerns, we kindly suggest opening a new thread to receive assistance from Intel experts. However, if you do not have any further inquiries, the community users will be available to assist you on this thread. Thank you for your understanding.

0 Kudos