Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20702 Discussions

Arria V GZ FPGA firmaware modification for an ADC application

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My application (UWB radio receiver) uses the TSW14J56 evaluation board with 4GSPS ADC and Arria V GZ FPGA on it. http://www.ti.com/tool/tsw14j56evm  

Unfortunately the plug-and-play-software doesn't support livestreaming of data (which is a requirement) and even if it did the computer hardware would limit the speed. So my plan is to modify the firmware of the FPGA to recognize the pulses received by the radio and only send information about them to the computer. The problem is that I'm totally new to the consepts and practicalities of FPGA programming and hardware. Biggest problem is that I'm not sure what I need to modify the firmware. In Texas Instruments forum I was told to get "Altera FPGA development tools and the JESD204B IP license". What are these? Quartus II supports the FPGA but do I need some additional hardware etc? What is the JESD204B IP license? 

I don't have the evaluation board yet so also other hardware solutions are possible. Any advices, suggestions, tips and tricks are highly appreciated!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you looked through Altera's transceiver technology jesd204b (https://www.altera.com/solutions/technology/transceiver/jesd204b/je-index.html) pages. There is plenty of information there. 

--- Quote Start ---  

my plan is to modify the firmware of the FPGA... 

--- Quote End ---  

Do you have this 'firmware'? What language is it written in? Are you familiar with it? 

--- Quote Start ---  

What is the JESD204B IP license? 

--- Quote End ---  

You will need the license to use the JESD204B IP that Altera have. This will be a big portion of well tested, proven code. You can either use that code or write your own. 

--- Quote Start ---  

I'm totally new to the consepts and practicalities of FPGA programming and hardware. 

--- Quote End ---  

Dare I ask what your experience is? 

I certainly don't want to put you off but, depending on your answers to these questions, this could end up being a pretty difficult exercise. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Have you looked through Altera's transceiver technology jesd204b (https://www.altera.com/solutions/technology/transceiver/jesd204b/je-index.html) pages. There is plenty of information there. 

Do you have this 'firmware'? What language is it written in? Are you familiar with it? 

You will need the license to use the JESD204B IP that Altera have. This will be a big portion of well tested, proven code. You can either use that code or write your own. 

Dare I ask what your experience is? 

I certainly don't want to put you off but, depending on your answers to these questions, this could end up being a pretty difficult exercise. 

Cheers, 

Alex 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you Alex for replying to my desperate request for help :D  

I'm an electronic engineering student (4th year, with some coding experience with C, python and arduino) but not specialized in this area. The firmware is available in the TI website by request, I should get it soon.  

I'll start studying the pages you linked, it helps to know I'm now heading the right way. Also started studying VHDL. 

br, 

Ismo
0 Kudos